July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum Lockedlynx hilo usb issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lynx hilo usb issues
    Posted: December/07/2017 at 8:28am
hi,

i'm beginning to wonder if i need to return my hilo back to the seller (thomann) for repair etc. because of some issues it seems to have.

i have been using the hilo usb for some time now and already asked a couple questions on the forum here regarding some of the matters.

here is what currently seems wrong:

1- when switching/powering on hilo the line in input displays a brief signal (like a 'pop'/click sound would)
2- when first playing media there is a click/'pop' sound output just before audio starts (in 16channel mode only)
3- when first opening daw (cubase pro 9) there is a brief click/'pop' sound output (in 16 channel mode only)
4- lynx mixer software seems broken at times due to random signals present in channels

firmware and software installed is the latest versions.

any suggestions or help here please guys?

cheers
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 3:56pm
Sounds like maybe a DC issue.
Is this through all outputs, or just the pair you are monitoring from? 
You might try a low-level reset and see if that helps. 
Warning: this will clear any routing or scenes you have saved. Here are the steps: 
* Turn the unit off
* Switch off the AC switch in the back
* Hold down the Standby button on the front WHILE flipping on the AC switch in the back. Hold the standby button until the calibration screen comes up, then release it
* Calibrate the screen, ideally using an item like a pen cap to insure accuracy. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2017 at 2:21am
hi,

its only when in 16 channel usb mode and for instance during the daw (cubase) opening process the 'pop'/click visual readout appears for the configured usb play (1&2) and mon out channels briefly (is heard also).

in 8 channel mode i do not get any audible 'pop'/click issues - only still the line in input displays a 'pop'/noise visual when switching on (when horizontal meter is first to appear).

the low level reset hasn't changed anything it seems.

cheers
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 4:43pm
Is Hilo on INTERNAL Sync?
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
Sales & Support Coordinator
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 2:51pm
hi, yes it is.

but like i said, 8 channel mode things seem all good (except for the brief 'pop' level reading on the line in when switching on hilo with horizontal meter display active - this always happens if in 16 or 8 channel mode).

i'm using the hilo with usb and its running the latest firmware and drivers.

cheers
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 4:51pm
This seems very strange indeed.  If my Hilo has no signal, I can switch between any of the meter pages and there is no activity at all on the meters.  It really seems like there is a signal present, but maybe has a DC offset.  Try disconnecting all of the inputs from the unit and see if you can track down which one is causing the issue.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 11:32pm
hi,

issue 1:  so without anything connected to the hilo's inputs the meter still displays a brief 'pop' signal when in horizontal meter mode after just switching on.

issue 2:  only in 16 channel mode there is an audible and brief 'pop' sound present on (numerous) channels whilst opening cubase for example - but this does not happen in 8 channel mode.

i have carried out rolling back the driver and firmware which results in issue 1 being fixed it seems but issue 2 is still present.

cheers
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 3:27pm
Another thing to try: 
Can you make something other then the Hilo the default audio device in your OS, and see if that has any bearing on symptom number 2? 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 5:05pm
hi,

when using my saffire pro 24 there are no problems.

surely this is an issue with the hilo because it is only when in 16 channel mode there is a problem (apart from the line-in brief 'pop' signal when switching on with latest firmware/drivers).

cheers

graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 5:12am
hi,

so everything i try, ranging from disabling window services to uninstalling programs, trying different hilo firmware/drivers etc. i still have this audible 'click/pop' noise when opening cubase whilst in 16 channel mode (also occurs just before when first playing a wav file in wavosaur app. for instance).

i'm also sometimes getting signals present on usb play 6, 7, 8 and 14, 15, 16 as well as at the same time in my windows audio recording device properties level read outs.

none of these problems in 8 channel mode.

cheers

David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 11:08am
I think you could have multiple issues here.  

First, insure that the file you are playing back actually starts a zero.  If the file you are playing back doesn't start at zero, that will give an audible click at the start of playback.

Next, there will always be a slight click when changing sample rates.  When you launch Cubase, check and see if the Hilo is changing sample rates and that will account for this issue.

Finally, what firmware version are you running on the LT-USB?  You can check this in the Hilo About page.  You should be running Firmware 10.  If not, you will to upgrade the firmware on the LT-USB.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2017 at 12:06pm
hi,

the issues are only present when in 16 channel mode.

this hilo in 16 channel mode obviously does not work with the computer correctly but it does perfectly when in 8 channel mode.

why would issues happen when in 16 channel mode but not in 8 channel mode?

the latest hilo/lt-usb firmware/drivers etc. installed and i've also tried prior versions.

cheers
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2017 at 6:55am
hi,

after installing the latest drivers on a different computer (win10) and then connecting the hilo to it, there still seems to be abnormal behavior occurring - such as signals present on some of the hilo channels, 'pop' sound etc. when there shouldn't be.

i'm thinking these are problems with the hilo's firmware/drivers or its the hilo unit itself (either that or the lt-usb card).

again, these problems only happens in 16 channel mode.

i have contacted the seller thomann about the issues i'm having with the hilo and i now just want to get this sorted so what is recommended i should do regarding this matter - send hilo back to thomann or is there anything else i can try?

cheers
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2017 at 5:04pm
Its baffling. Frankly, I've never heard of any issue that exists in 16 channel mode and not 8 channel mode. 
Kind of implies that it is a bandwidth problem, but there is not much difference between 16 channel mode at 96k, versus 8 channel mode at 192k. 

Wouldn't be a driver or firmware problem, if those conditions make no difference, Its possible that there is a hardware issue, although I'm not sure what it could be. Is it possible to get that resolved through your dealer? Happy to help in any way...
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
 Post Reply Post Reply