July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedAES 16e/Aurora 16 drifting out of sync

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AES 16e/Aurora 16 drifting out of sync
    Posted: October/16/2017 at 11:00am
Hello all. First time poster, long time Lynx user.

We have two AES 16e cards in a mac pro 2009 and two Aurora 16s. Driver build: 58c, Firmware version: 14.1, Aurora firmware version: 28.

Current set up is as follows:

AES #1 clock source internal; AES #2 clock source header. Cards linked with Lynx clock cable.
Aurora 1 and 2 Sync source set to AES A

Connected to our desk via EDAC to DB25 looms - AES/Aurora 1 provides i/o 1-16 and 2 provides i/o 17-32.

During every session, AES/Aurora #2 loses sync with 1. It occurs when record arming any track using i/o 17-24 in Pro Tools or Logic. We hear digital distortion and the dreaded chirping sound! A change of either buffer size or project sample rate within the DAW usually corrects it but changing any setting on the Lynx mixer or the Aurora front panel has no effect. The SynchroLock bar in the Lynx mixer is not fully locked. It doesn't occur on tracks using i/o 1-16 i.e AES/Aurora #1.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Cheers
Stu
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 12:56pm
It seems as if everything is connected up and clocking properly.  Are you seeing anything in Lynx Mixer for the second AES16e when it loses sync?
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
invada View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2017 at 7:00am
Hi David

Apologies for taking so long to respond.

Initially the synchro lock bar for the second AES in the Lynx mixer wasn't fully locked but it now is. The problem is still happening regularly however.

Cheers
Stu
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2017 at 8:59am
I assume you are using an Aggregate device, is "Drift" turned off for both of the AES16e's?  It should be.  You might also try changing the order of the two devices and moving the CBL-ICC so the other card is the master as see what happens.  It may be that the second card is having an issue and needs service.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
invada View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2017 at 11:46am
Yes, it's an aggregate device, with drift turned off for both.

I'll try switching the master/slave and let you know what happens.
invada View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2017 at 11:35am
I tried switching the order of the cards - AES 2 master, clocked source internal; AES 1 Slave, clock source header; both Auroras clocked to AES A - and the problem still persists. Do you suppose there is a problem with the second card?
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2017 at 3:49pm
I would suggest try driver build 58B. Run the Driver Uninstaller that came with 58c, reboot when prompted, then install driver 58b.  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
invada View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 9:35am
Hi Paul

That seems to have done the trick. Still occasionally getting the dreaded sound but nowhere near as often and it seems to be buffer related and easily rectified.

cheers
Stu
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 3:08pm
Thanks for the update
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
 Post Reply Post Reply