Forum LockedAES16e not recognized in pcie-x1 slot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AES16e not recognized in pcie-x1 slot
    Posted: September/08/2017 at 12:21pm
UPDATE: I found a work-around.
I was able to get the AES16e working in one of the PCIe x1 slots, but I had to make modifications (metal work) to the case for my computer. After making the modifications, I was able to install the graphics card in the second x16 slot. I then installed the AES16e into the x1 slot that was previously covered by the video card (see the below example in the original post). I didn't want to delete this post, since others may run into this issue, and not have the option to move the video card like I did by modifying the case.

Working configuration after case modification:
Motherboard: Biostar X370GT5, AMD Ryzen 1700x, x370 chipset
Non working Slot configuration:
PCIe x16: Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb PCIe x4 network adapter 
PCIe x1: AES16e
PCIe x1: empty
PCIe x16: AMD RX470 video card

ORIGINAL POST:
I am having an issue where my AES16e is not being recognized in the only available PCIe x1 slot in my computer. I recently upgraded my motherboard and upgraded from the AES16 PCI to the AES16e. When installed in the PCIe 1x slot, AES16e led just continues to flash after boot up with no detection or error at all in Windows. I am able to get the card to work fine in one of the PCIe x16 slots, but this is not an ideal situation since in that slot I have a 10gb network card that connects to my NAS. Since the card works fine in the x16 slot, I don't think there is a problem with the card.

To troubleshoot this issue myself, I have been experimenting with the PCIe promontory settings in the bios which I believe enables and disables the PCIe functionality in the chipset. The default setting is for all PCIe promontory switches is "auto". The card actually worked 2 times in the x1 slot out of probably 25 tries of setting combinations of PCIe promontory switches to enabled or disabled. Both times I had success, I had a different combination of PCIe promontory switches enabled and after I restarted a second time, the card was not recognized again. I have also tried disabling c-states, and any power saving features, but this had no effect. Installing the AES16e in the x1 slot, but not the network card also had no effect.

If it helps, I believe the x1 slot is connected through the x370 chipset, and the x16 slot is connected directly to the CPU.

Are there any other bios settings that I could try? Or, is there some driver or firmware issue that might be the cause of this?

I have the newest Lynx driver for Windows 10 x64, and the newest firmware on the AES16e. I also have the newest bios firmware for the motherboard.

Motherboard: Biostar X370GT5, AMD Ryzen 1700x, x370 chipset
Non working Slot configuration:
PCIe x1: (covered by the video card)
PCIe x1: AES16e
PCIe x16: Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb PCIe x4 network adapter

Working, but missing the network card, Slot configuration:
PCIe x1: (covered by the video card)
PCIe x1: empty
PCIe x16: AES16e

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!