January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedAurora 16's with ProTools questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aurora 16's with ProTools questions
    Posted: July/29/2016 at 9:54pm
I'm a long time Nuendo user and have always taken advantage of the direct asio monitoring.  Works great with my 2 Aurora 16's

My current setup is

Aes16e with LS-ADAT board
2 Aurora 16's
Aurora #1 connects via AES to the AES16e
Aurora #2 connects via  LT-ADAT card to the LS-ADAT

This way I get all my i/o on the lynx mixer and I can route between Auroras with no trouble.

But....Now, people wish to use protools.

So what is my best solution for having easy access to BOTH my existing system, and a zero latency protools system like a PT-HD core card.  (without having to remove L-slot cards etc when switching between protools and nuendo sessions.)

One thought I had:
I could install an LT-HD card in Aurora#1, connect the AES outs of Aurora #2 to Aurora #1.  Will protools see all 32 analog ins and outs this way?  If so, I could use a pair of db25 switch boxes to switch between AES connections on Aurora #1.  (Switcher position "a" connects AES16e card to Aurora #1 AES I/O and for normal use.  Then switcher position "b" connects AES I/O of Aurora #2 to AES I/O of Aurora #1.

Would this work?  Or would both Aurora's need to have an LT-HD card?

Or, better yet, can you think of a better solution??  Even if it involves spending some money.  (Other than a 3rd Aurora!)

Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2016 at 12:25pm
Of course, the best solution would be an LT-HD in both Auroras, set them each to 16 channel mode and daisy chain them via Digilink cables. In this way, all 32 analog inputs would align via the Delay Comp.

You could use one LT-HD, set that Aurora to 32 channel mode and daisy chain the AES as you mention but be aware that the AES transmission will add a couple of samples of delay, so you would not want to split up a stereo pair between the two Auroras, e.g.
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
chops View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2016 at 12:18am
Thanks Mike. But then I wouldn't have the AES16e involved at all right? I love how well it works with my Nuendo setup... But the way you describe would be all through the Avid hd card, correct? Do those have decent ASIO drivers for my neundo setup?

OR would having the two Auroras linked with digilink cables and LT.-Hd's still allow me to see both auroras over AES to the AES16e card in 32channel mode? That would be awesome...

Thanks again for talking though this with me.
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2016 at 9:20am
Hi,

First, you're very welcome.

In order to use PT HD you need to use an AVID card (Core, Accel, HDX, HD NATIVE) so you are correct: the AES16e is not used.

With a 2nd Aurora and LT-HDs daisy-chained, you can leave the AES16e connected to the AES connectors and switch back and forth between PT and Nuendo. This is a very common and popular setup.
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
chops View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2016 at 11:06am
Thanks Mike.  That's great news.  Just to be sure, (for Nuendo sessions) with two LT-HD linked aurora's connected via AES on Aurora #1 to the AES16e card in 32 channel mode , will I be able to route between i/o of the two Auroras with direct asio monitoring.  For example, monitoring inputs 1-16 from aurora #1 on outputs 15/16 on Aurora#2 as I can with my current setup using the LS-ADAT and LT adat card?

Thanks again,
John

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2016 at 4:12pm
Actually, I don't think that using two Aurora/HDs connected to a Native card would allow you ASIO direct monitoring in Nuendo. You may want to check that with other Nuendo/Avid users. 

If that is critical, keeping in mind the delay ramifications that Mike described, you may want to go with your original premise:
One Aurora with LT-HD
One Aurora with LT ADAT
One AES16e with LS-ADAT. 

If you run the Aurora HD in 32-channel mode, you need to make sure and have two yamaha pinout crossover cables (like the Yamaha D24 cable) to connect Aurora #2 to Aurora #1. The Aurora routing will be different in both contexts of use too, so you will need to switch that too when you go from one platform to the other.  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
chops View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2016 at 12:22am
Hi Paul.  Thanks for your help.  I was  planning to have both the AES16e AND the Avid Native card.

Here's what I thought it would look like:
Two aurora's, linked to each other via LT-hd's
Aurora #1 then connects via LT-HD to the Avid native card for 32 i/o with Protools sessions
Aurora #1 also connects via AES to the AES16e for 32 i/o with nuendo sessions and asio direct monitor.

Is this possible?  (Can a pair of LT-HD linked auroras get all 32 i/o from both units to the AES16e card over AES from Aurora #1?)

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2016 at 10:40am
So are you suggesting to forego the ADAT connection in Aurora #2? If both Auroras have LT-HD cards, then  you could not have the LT-ADAT card installed as well. 
Please clarify. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
chops View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2016 at 11:21pm
That is correct.  Both Aurora's would have LT-HD cards.  They would be linked together via digilink cables.  And Aurora #1 would be digilinked to an Avid HD Native card. (No more Lt-ADAT or LS-ADAT)  Would that still give me access to the analog i/o on both Auroras for a total 32 analog i/o over AES via Aurora 1 to the AES16e for my Nuendo sessions?  (As well as accomplish my goal of having connectivity for an Avid Hd Native pcie card.)

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2016 at 4:11pm
If you needed 32 channels through the AES16e, you would need two AES16e cards. Each AES16e supports 16 channels of AES I/O. 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
chops View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2016 at 12:59pm
Ah yes. Of course. Thanks for crushing my dreams, Paul! ;)
(Better now than later.)

I do have a second aes16 card, but then I lose my ability to route between Auroras in ASIO direct monitor or via the Lynx mixer... (Hence my current lt-Adat, LS-Adat configuration.

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2016 at 4:38pm
ah yes, that is a dilemma. Perhaps then, my original idea would be best. Use a single LT-HD card, and connect Aurora #2 to Aurora #1 via AES. Keep the ADAT card in unit #2. You would still have 32 analog channels for both contexts that way. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
 Post Reply Post Reply