July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedLynx Mixer via midi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krcassid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lynx Mixer via midi
    Posted: December/23/2017 at 12:52pm
I am just upgrading my studio from PT8 HD to PT12HD Native (Win 10).  I'll be using the HD Native card and the same LT-HD cards in my 2 Aurora 16s that have served me faithfully for 8 years.    As I rewire and figure out routings, I'd like to integrate the Lynx Mixer (have never used it before).  My questions are pretty simple:

1.) Is anybody using (or having success/ problems with) The mixer software via midi in a setup like mine (HD 12 native/ Win 10)?

2.) I have 2 Aurora 16s, both w/ LT-HD.  As I understand it, my only option is to connect via midi.  Do I need to connect both Auroras separately via midi (assuming this a yes, no way to daisy chain?). 

3.) Will the mixer app recognize both Aurora 16s together or will I have to run 2 mixer apps (can you do this?).  I am uncertain if I have 2 separate midi connections if they can be combined into one mixer instance or if it would require 2 mixer instances (if even possible)?  Anybody running 2 Aurora 16s via midi have any experience w/ this?

The mixer app is very cool and will allow me to have a ton more flexibility.  So, I'm really hoping I can make this work.  I need to figure it out before I do the upgrade as successful mixer integration will allow me to use a lot different device routing schemes.

Thanks for your help!

Kevin
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2017 at 11:09am
Lynx Mixer is for the PCI Express and Thunderbolt products only.  It will not work via MIDI at all.  Please remember that Lynx Mixer is simply a remote control for hardware - the hardware is doing all the heavy lifting of the actual audio mixing.  The LT-HD and Aurora 16 simply don't have the hardware to support Lynx Mixer.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
krcassid View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krcassid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2017 at 11:17am
Thanks for your prompt response.  However, I'm confused.  Perhaps it is my terminology.  I was asking about the remote software: Aurora Remote Control Software 18i/18j.   

This page on lynx website says:

Released: October 14, 2015

Windows: XP/Vista / Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 32-bit or 64-bit

macOS: OSX 10.6 and Up

Aurora Remote is used to control the Aurora with a USB or firewire connection. It also can be used via MIDi interface or AES16.

This would lead me to believe that this software can be used to remotely control Lynx routings via midi.  Am I incorrect?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2017 at 12:10pm
Aurora Remote Control is a completely different product.  That can be used with the Aurora 16 - but requires an external interface like the Roland UM1 or other USB to MIDI interface.  You would need one USB to MIDI interface per Aurora, and Aurora Remote Control would be able to select which unit you were controlling.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
krcassid View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krcassid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2017 at 12:58pm
Thanks!  My mistake for not being clear.  So, if I use a multi-channel USB midi interface (IE 8 x 8) and connect both Auroras, I can use this mixer app to route audio internally in the Lynx when not locked to Pro Tools, right?  I assume, per Aurora manual, that the remote is basically non-functional when connected via LT-HD to Pro Tools?  I can no longer use the remote control app for routing audio inside the Aurora when Pro Tools locks in?

Now, a new request:  I have scoured Lynx site and web for any type of manual or instructions as to how the remote control app works and what it's capabilities are.  Is there any documentation at all regarding this remote control app? 

Thanks for your help!
krcassid View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krcassid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2017 at 2:44pm
So, after trying Remote (18i/j) (no luck) I I just connected midi I/O Thru a midisport 2 x 2 with the original mixer I got years ago (just says Aurora Remote.exe)   Now, I can see the remote and I can see levels coming in on inputs but I cannot seem to route them to any outputs.  I've got a laptop connected directly to the Aurora via midisport in & out.  The Pro Tools computer controlling the LT-HDs is off (figured this might be a problem).  I am seeing input levels on Analog 1 and want to route it to other outputs but no matter what I select as source and output, I see no levels on outputs.  What am I missing?

I think I need a manual...

Edited by krcassid - December/26/2017 at 3:27pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2017 at 9:29am
Aurora Remote Control is documented in the LT-FW manual... which makes sense if you think about it (no it doesn't!).  You probably just need to set the TO ANALOG OUT to remote (all three LEDs on).
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
 Post Reply Post Reply