FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November 14, 2017: macOS Driver Build 58D now Available
November 13, 2017: Windows Driver Version 2 Build 23i now Available
November 9, 2017: Firmware Update 1.7 for Aurora(n) now Available
November 6, 2017: Aurora(n) User Manual (Firmware 1.7) now Available
July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedDC Offset caused by XLR adapter ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JlTuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC Offset caused by XLR adapter ?
    Posted: October/11/2017 at 9:52am
Hello. I guess this can probably apply to other products as well. I got an L22, and recently I found out that at high levels my amplifier was going into protection. I also found out that the preamp was outputing some above normal DC. Long story short and after a long lists of tests and switching heavy equipment (doh!) I found out it was my trusty Lynx L22! I used the "Recalibrate converters" option on the Lynx mixer to no avail. After some search I found out that the XLR to RCA adapter I'm using doesn't have the same wiring as recommended on the user manual. I was going to test with a preamp with balanced inputs that I have but the wiring is also different and I don't have an adapter ready. So before I dig out the soldring iron to make some adapters to test can you guys confirm if this wiring can be the issue ? The XLR to RCA adapter that I have has pins 1 and 3 to RCA sleeve, and pin 2 to RCA center conductor. User manual says to leave pin 1 connected to cable shield only, with the other end floating).

Thanks for all the great and continued amazing support, even for older but still awesome cards that make the name Lynx worth it :)
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 3:07pm
is this the blue adapter cable? 
That one is for SPDIF. For Analog I/O, this is the correct adapter cable: 

Your description of the configuration sounds correct.
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
JlTuc View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JlTuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2017 at 6:12pm
Posting the results of some more tests in case anyone is interested.
No, it's an off the shelf XLR to RCA adapter I got from a music store some years ago.
The other preamp with balanced inputs I mentioned above ended up having the exact same XLR wiring and that solved the problem, so I'm happy again. Funny that I had been running the L22 like that without even noticing! The pre itself is actually not balanced internally, it's got an internal adapter from XLR to single ended so I'm guessing it's was indeed the adapter not being adequate.

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2017 at 2:47pm
Thanks for the update
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
 Post Reply Post Reply