July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedHilo Remote Bug?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hilo Remote Bug?
    Posted: October/09/2017 at 7:34am
I've finally been using the Hilo remote app even though I only use Hilo in standalone mode. It was definitely easier/better to set up my Hilo config from the app vs the Hilo screen.

However, after opening the app here and there to check on things, I regularly see that the left channel fader for Line Out changes to -12 and the right channel to 0.0 when really, the scene calls for both channels to be -2.0.

The sound seems to be correct but visually it looks wrong until I reload the scene.

Is this a bug, or something I'm not understanding?

Below is a link to a screen shot and as you can see, the left/right channels are linked so I have no idea how they could even be different.

Jperkinski View Drop Down
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2017 at 6:50am
Again, this morning I opened the Hilo Remote app to check on it and the first fader of the Line Out is shown as -12 even though it doesn't sound that way and the left/right channels are linked.

I know it's not an urgent bug but it's kind of disconcerting.

Here is another picture:
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2017 at 7:41am
See above but I also have cases where some of the mute buttons on the L-Slot faders randomly come unmated.

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2017 at 4:58pm
Could you open the About page from the Hilo Remote menu and take a screenshot of that? Sounds like there may be a versioning conflict.  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by PaulTech PaulTech wrote:

Could you open the About page from the Hilo Remote menu and take a screenshot of that? Sounds like there may be a versioning conflict.  

Sure, let me know if this tells us anything:

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 2:29pm
OK, odd. Could you give this version of Hilo Remote a shot and see if it behaves differently? 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 7:03am

OK, odd. Could you give this version of Hilo Remote a shot and see if it behaves differently? 

Sure but initially it doesn't look good. Here is a screen shot of how it looked when I first opened the new version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jz0uzm2u0fvz52/Screen%20Shot%202017-10-14%20at%208.58.20%20AM.png?dl=0

I'm not sure why "Record 13 + 14+" is down to -62.0

I had all those channels at 0.0 and muted. You also see the left channel of line in is muted but not the right even though they are linked. 

Also, some how it's stuck on ADAT as the clock source.

I'll have to dick around with it more now and see what's up.
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 7:10am
See above but I went back to the 1.0.16 version of Hilo Remote and the Current Clock source went back to digital in as expected. 

I don't have time right now to beta test this stuff for you. I'm getting random channels that unmet or change level (at least on the GUI) even though the stereo channels are linked so it should be impossible for the left and right to be different. 

I'm happy to report issues but if you're just going to tell me to use an older version that has even weirder issues, I don't see the point.

I recently replaced my AES16e with the RME HDSPe AES card and couldn't be happier with the sound (SyncroLock sounds weird/bad), the stability of the card and software, the look of the RME mixer, and the DIGICheck stuff is great.

Generally speaking the sound of the HILO is pretty good for a clean alternative to my HEDD but if it's going to be like this, I may look into replacing it with something more fitting and less hassle.

Edited by Jperkinski - October/14/2017 at 7:13am
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 7:49am
See both above messages but if it helps you troubleshoot, here is the saved scene I normally use:
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2017 at 2:35pm
Is there any update on this? The HILO remote app seems to have a bug. How do I know what to believe if the Lynx Mixer is telling me something different?  

Edited by Jperkinski - November/08/2017 at 2:36pm
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 2:36pm
Sorry for the delay. 
The Hilo Remote simply reveals the hardware state. As much as it seems like a software bug, that is not likely the issue, or it would appear this way to others. The versions you are using are fine. 
It seems more likely that there is a basic communication flaw here. It's possible that it is a hardware problem, but first I'd want to look at other operational conditions. 
have you tried a different thunderbolt cable? Do you have any other thunderbolt devices connected? If so, what are they and where are they connected (daisy chained to or from the Hilo, or on a separate port)? 
 Have you tried a low-level reset of the Hilo? 
You do this by holding down the front panel standby button while flipping on the back panel AC switch. Keep holding standby until the screen calibration page comes up. Calibrate the screen, then test. 

Keep me posted. 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 2:40pm
Hi Paul,

I'm out of commission for a few days but I'll report back.

I can say that what I'm seeing on the Hilo Remote Mixer App does not reflect what I'm hearing. Having the left channel on that output be down by 12dB would be extremely obvious.

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2017 at 3:10pm
Right. Its pinging the hardware to retrieve its state, and getting back a jumbled mess. Communication is broken at some point. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2017 at 6:58am

Right. Its pinging the hardware to retrieve its state, and getting back a jumbled mess. Communication is broken at some point. 

I see, while my iMac has maxed out specs, it's a 2013 and the last Thunerbolt 1 iMac. I'm holding out for the iMac Pro to be released.

I do have other things connected such as a Sonnet TB chassis containing my RME AES card, and a UAD-2 card. I also have a Blackmagic hard drive dock, UA Apollo Twin MKII, and two external displays connected.

I use two of the OWC Thunderbolt docks to connect it all.

Maybe this is a bit too much of a strain though other than this weird issue, everything still runs strong.

I'm not exactly where in the chain the Hilo is connected but I can check probably tomorrow.

Either way, it's probably best to just wait until I have the new computer rig up and running and see if the problem still exists.

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2017 at 4:33pm
Perhaps you can try the Hilo with a direct connection to the computer, temporarily, just to see if that has an impact on the behavior
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 6:02am
I think this is a true bug. I now have a 10-core iMac Pro and the Hilo is directly connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port using a TB3 to TB2 adapter and I'm getting the same results.

I do have a UA Apollo connected to the 2nd port of the Lynx Hilo but the Hilo itself is directly connected to the iMac Pro which should be plenty powerful. 
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2018 at 9:29am
What driver version are you using with the LT-TB?
Are you using the Hilo Remote that came with that driver?
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jperkinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2018 at 6:57am
Originally posted by David A Hoatson David A Hoatson wrote:

What driver version are you using with the LT-TB?
Are you using the Hilo Remote that came with that driver?

Let me know if this screen shot helps and if I'm out of date:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>