FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November 14, 2017: macOS Driver Build 58D now Available
November 13, 2017: Windows Driver Version 2 Build 23i now Available
November 9, 2017: Firmware Update 1.7 for Aurora(n) now Available
November 6, 2017: Aurora(n) User Manual (Firmware 1.7) now Available
July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedSynchrolock or Big Ben C777?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synchrolock or Big Ben C777?
    Posted: September/13/2017 at 6:40pm
I've two Aurora 16 with LT-TB and I need to have a good sync. A friend of mine gave me his Apogee Big Ben. Lynx has Synchrolock 1 and Big Ben has C777 so I ask you which of the two is more accurate. Do you ever made a measurement between the two?

Regards.
egoecho View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2017 at 4:20pm
Anyone here?
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 9:32am
We have measured both, but I figured you wanted info from a non-Lynx source since it is pretty obvious what we are going to say. 

There are two parts to SynchroLock, one is the extremely low jitter clock source (much lower jitter than the product you mentioned) and the second is the ability to continue to produce the low jitter clock even when sync'ing to an external source that has higher jitter (like the product you mentioned).

Now your question is which one is 'more accurate', and I guess I would need to know what you mean by 'more accurate' as that can be taken many ways.

Edited by David A Hoatson - September/21/2017 at 9:33am
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
egoecho View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2017 at 3:49am
yes, for "accurate" I mean with less jitter. So it is better to connect via bnc the first Aurora in internal mode with Synchrolock ON to the second one in external mode with Synchrolock off?
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2017 at 9:25am
Certainly not.

There are two reasons for using an external clock
1) Better clock accuracy (less jitter or ability to sync to an external reference that is out or range for the target device)
2) Clock distribution

To get the best jitter specification (and least amount of distortion in the A/D D/A stages) you would want to leave SynchroLock ON at all times.  If you have two Auroras, simply connecting a BNC word clock cable between the first one and second, and setting the second to SYNC SOURCE: EXT would be ideal. 

If you have more than "a few" devices to clock together, then you might consider using a clock distribution product (which is why the Aurora(n) has three word clock outputs, so clock distribution amplifiers are no longer needed).
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
egoecho View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2017 at 6:53pm
Ok, I'll sell the Big Ben. :) Will you sell the Aurora (n) also on Thomann for european market? Please say YES. If YES, when? I'm goin' to sell my Auroras to buy 1U Aurora (n) 32 ch. w/thunderbolt
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 12:16pm
Hi,

We are currently shipping the new (n)s so you may want to speak to them about ordering. We are almost caught up on our back-orders so this would be good timing...
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
Sales & Support Coordinator
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
 Post Reply Post Reply