Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lynx Forum > Lynx Support Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Unbalanced instrument/keyboard to aurora balanced
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November 14, 2017: macOS Driver Build 58D now Available
November 13, 2017: Windows Driver Version 2 Build 23i now Available
November 9, 2017: Firmware Update 1.7 for Aurora(n) now Available
November 6, 2017: Aurora(n) User Manual (Firmware 1.7) now Available
July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedUnbalanced instrument/keyboard to aurora balanced

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chops View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unbalanced instrument/keyboard to aurora balanced
    Posted: September/04/2017 at 9:21am
Ok. Check the specs on the outputs of your keyboards. They probably output a signal that's about 20db or so below typical line level (which is what the aurora is expecting) and they possibly have a high impedance (keyboards vary widely in this regard). Most people reccomend that the receiving device (Aurora) have an input impedance 10 times higher than the source's output impedance (your keyboards and modules) for optimal loading..   

However, the Aurora "accepts" unbalanced signals just fine. (Input impedance 12khz for unbalanced). So you' should be getting signal into the Aurora, but it might not be at the levels you'd like to see. (Did you try the "-10" sensitivity setting on the input trims of the Aurora?)

So even without a DI, and mic pre you'll get something, but maybe not a robust signal, and possibly slightly anemic sounding with the potential impedance loading scenario...

Here's another article in Sound on Sound that would be a good read. I know you don't WANT to have to have a DI and a preamp, but there's a lot of things we don't necessarily WANT to have to do to get great sounds...

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-there-any-point-di-ing-keyboards

Hope this helps!

Edited by chops - September/04/2017 at 9:24am
throbert View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2017 at 6:21am

Don't have space or want to add the weight of a mixer just want to know what wiring configurations are best for unbalanced to my Aurora balanced analog inputs

chops View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2017 at 10:53pm
It's not so much a question of balanced/unbalanced, but a question of impedance and signal level. Your keyboards are likely outputting a high impedance, instrument level, unbalanced signal. The lynx is looking for line level. You ideally want to feed the outputs of your your keyboards into some di's and mic pres, or a mixer, and then take the line livel balanced outputs of those into the inputs of the lynx. (Not that it won't work at all the way you're talking about... just not ideal.)

(I'm a Lynx user, not a Lynx representative of any kind. Just thought I could help...)
throbert View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2017 at 7:30pm

Wondering the best way to connect my unbalanced outputs from my keys and modules to the balanced inputs on mt Aurora. Rane has several diagrams for connecting different devices here's their unbalanced to balanced diagram:

Then there's Sound on Sound and they sell (via Pirahna cables) a balanced to unbalanced cable, but it's only available in the UK. they use a cap/resistor circuit on the unbalanced end of their cable:

Redco will make me cables set up like SOSs, but thought I'd ask here first since I'll be connecting to my Aurora balanced analog inputs.

Thanks, throb

Post Reply Post Reply