Forum LockedAurora (n) 8 LT-TB Latency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aurora (n) 8 LT-TB Latency
    Posted: August/16/2017 at 12:12pm
Update: Latency issue resolved by upgrading LT-TB driver from 5.5 to 6.2 

Recently got an Aurora (n) 8 LT-TB up and running on an Intel 6800k w/ X99P-SLI motherboard, updated to latest FW, running OS X. Using Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter cable to connect from the PC.

Unfortunately Logic is currently reporting a higher latency than I expected for the Aurora: 5.1ms RTL, 1.8ms out @ 32 samples.

For reference I plugged in an Apogee Duet 2 via USB and Logic reports better performance: 4.3ms RTL, 1.8ms Out @ 32 samples.

A few questions:

1. Is this the expected latency for the LT-TB? Even if Logic is reporting strange numbers, I would think it would perform faster than a USB device, which makes me think there's something going on at the mobo / driver end.

2. Is there a preferred method of testing latency on Windows? I can attempt a Windows install on a secondary hard drive to see if it's something with the OS install.

Thanks!

Edited by danthony - August/17/2017 at 10:07am
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 12:34pm
We need to be clear that if you are using this on a Hackintosh, we do not support that configuration since it is something we do not test with.  With that in mind, you can probably get much better latency performance by simply changing the firmware on your LT-TB.

If the LT-TB has Firmware 5.5, then you need to upgrade the firmware on your LT-TB to 6.2.  Use this firmware updater.  That will enable the DMA V2 engine on the hardware and give the lowest possible latency.  You also need to make sure you have installed Driver 58C to support the Aurora(n).

To answer the second-half of your question, yes Windows will give slightly better latency performance since you don't have quite as much OS overhead when you using ASIO with Windows.  Again, make sure you using Firmware 6.2 and the driver V2Setup23g.exe for the best latency performance.

Edited by David A Hoatson - August/16/2017 at 12:41pm
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
danthony View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 1:50pm
Thank you for your quick response! Completely understand that this Mac configuration is unsupported and appreciate any general help you can provide as it's a necessary evil in my life until the new Pros are released.

My LT-TB version is "5", so it does require upgrading.

Unfortunately when I attempt to run the linked updater for the LT-TB FW,  I'm met with a "No AES16e card connected" popup and am unable to proceed with the update. 

It looks like this updater predates the Aurora(n) line (2016), so perhaps some code needs to be added to the installer to recognize (n) devices and allow LT-TB updates? I am running latest Aurora FW and 58C.

If this popup looks like it's a result of the unsupported configuration (some issue with device identification) I will install Windows and the necessary drivers on a second drive and update the LT-TB that way. (Or is there a way to do this via the SD card?) 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 3:59pm
Right, I forgot about that issue.  58B is required to update the firmware on the LT-TB, then you can install 58C to get the correct driver and Lynx Mixer for the Aurora(n).  Sorry for the confusion.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
danthony View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 6:47pm
Hi David,

Abandoning the Mac and switching to a supported system as removing 58C and installing 58B caused nonstop kernel panic / boot loop issues. 

I am now attempting to update the FW on a PC running Windows 10. Unfortunately encountering the same error after installing 23g (and then uninstalling and attempting with 23e) drivers. Aurora channels show up in the device manager, LT-TB info appears in Lynx Mixer, but it still says no cards found.

Any advice?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2017 at 8:04am
I hate it when that happens!  I thought I had uploaded the new FWUpdate program that supported the Aurora(n), but I failed to do so.  Both the Windows version and the macOS version have been uploaded.  So sorry for the omission.  The link to the FWUpdate program is here.

Edited by David A Hoatson - August/17/2017 at 8:54am
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
danthony View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2017 at 10:04am
Hi David,

I managed to update using the Mac installer and 58C (the PC one, which I tried first with 23g, gave me two separate errors -- first an "unspecified error" popup and then a "no resource found" popup when I x'd the first one and tried to run the updater.)

Logic is now reporting 2.2ms RTL, 1.1ms out @ 32 samples in Logic, which meets my expectations entirely!

Thanks for all your help on this.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2017 at 10:34am
Strange, I just updated my LT-TB in my Aurora(n) on Windows and it worked OK.  We will look into that.  Glad it is working better for you on the macOS side.  2.2ms is what we would expect to see at 32 sample buffer, which of course is much better than the other product you mentioned Wink.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
 Post Reply Post Reply