July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedAurora 16 not recognised by Avid HDX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milestone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aurora 16 not recognised by Avid HDX
    Posted: July/21/2017 at 5:44am
Hello from Cape Town

I've been using an Aurora 16 on Port 1, and two Digidesign 192's on Port 2 of an Avid HDX card for a couple of years. Recently, Pro Tools started quitting with a message that the number of peripherals had changed, and it was always the Aurora that had disappeared. 

Now it is not seen by the HDX card. If I boot Pro Tools 12.7.1 with the Aurora connected, I usually get an AAE error -1125. If it does manage to boot fully, the two 192's on Port 2 are recognised, but nothing on Port 1. I've tried putting the HDX card into another computer (Mac Pro 2008, Mac OS 10.9.5), updating the firmware on both the Aurora (28) and the LT-HD card (11), replacing the LT-HD card, all combinations of different ports and Digilink cables, connecting the 192's via the LT-HD expansion port, or vice versa, and booting from another drive with OS 10.10.5 and PT HD 12.8. Consistently, the Aurora is not seen. 

However...if I plug the Aurora in other systems we have at work, which have Avid HD Native cards, it is correctly identified immediately.

If I run Avid Digitest 12.7.1, the HDX card passes all tests if only the 192's are connected, but fails with the following information when I connect the Aurora:

Peripheral Loopback Test Connector 1 Pri ---- Failed - Data Missing or invalid: Group 1 Group 2
Peripheral Loopback Test Connector 1 Sec ---- Failed - Data Missing or invalid: Group 1 Group 2
SDI 0 PIO Floating Point Test ---- Failed
SDI 0 PIO Loop Single Chan ---- Failed
SDI 0 PIO TDM Loop In B-A ---- Failed
SDI 0 PIO TDM Loop Int B-A 192k ---- Failed
SDI 0 PIO TDM Loop Int B-A 96k ---- Failed
SDI 0 TDM PIO Loop Int B-A ---- Failed
SDI 0 TDM PIO Loop Int B-A 192k ---- Failed
SDI 0 TDM PIO Loop Int B-A 96k ---- Failed
SDI 0 PIO Floating Point Test ---- Failed

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Murray

Murray Anderson
Milestone Studios
21 Bloem Street
Cape Town 8001
South Africa
http://www.milestones.co.za
john1192 View Drop Down
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john1192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2017 at 1:25pm
a bump for a buddy in need of help .... 

cheers john
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2017 at 2:36pm
Hi Murray, 
That is extremely bizarre. 
Based on the errors and symptoms, I would be suspicious of the port on the HDX card that you are using for the Aurora. You did say that you tried the Aurora daisy chained out of the 192 I/O, but did you try it by itself connected to the same port that the 192 I/O is currently connected to? 

Does the sample rate on the Aurora change when you launch ProTools? 
What happens if you trash preferences, put the Aurora on Internal, and try running it by itself? Does that work OK? 

How about as a Core Audio device? When you use something like iTunes with the HDX card, does that work OK?  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
milestone View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milestone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2017 at 3:35am
Hi Paul

I did try it on its own, on both ports of the HDX card, with various cables known to be good. Same problem. I borrowed another Aurora with earlier firmware, and it is always recognised as two 192's by my HDX card, but unfortunately, the owner didn't want me to remove his LT-HD card and replace it with mine to test. I have already tested 3 LT-HD cards in my unit, with the same problem, so I doubt that it's the card.

If I leave the Aurora power cable unplugged for a while, then when I plug it in again it is recognised and works correctly, and if I quit Pro Tools and use it as a Core Audio device, it works too. But then if I reboot, I get the AAE error -1125, and Pro Tools quits. When this happens, HDX is no longer available as an option for Core Audio.

I wonder if there is something that is not being properly reset when Pro Tools quits, so the HDX card doesn't recognise the Aurora when it encounters it for a second time. Is this possible?
Kind regards

Murray

Murray Anderson
Milestone Studios
21 Bloem Street
Cape Town 8001
South Africa
milestone View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milestone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2017 at 8:20am
Hi Paul

Following up on your question about the sample rate:

> Does the sample rate on the Aurora change when you launch ProTools? 

Yes. I ran a lot of tests today, and I think I see a pattern. When I switch the unit on, the sample rate light is on 192, and when the Pro Tools splash screen comes up, then it changes to 44.1. Everything works correctly, and when I quit Pro Tools, the light flashes between 44 and 192 a couple of times and then settles down. If I launch Pro Tools again, it works fine still.

However, one time when I quit Pro Tools, the light went to 192 and stayed there, and then when I tried to start Pro Tools again, I got the AAE error -1125. I unplugged the unit for a few minutes, and the problem persisted, even if I switched the unit off, reset it, restarted the computer, etc.

But when I left it unplugged from the mains for an hour, it worked when I plugged it in again. Same thing happened - after a few cycles of starting Pro Tools, quitting, restarting, etc, the sample rate light got stuck, and the AAE error -1125 came back. This time however, I just manually changed the sample rate on the front of the unit, and everything worked fine again!

So it seems that when it gets stuck, if I change the sample rate to any value other than 192, Pro Tools will recognise the Aurora and everything works properly. What could cause something like this?

I haven't had time to test this extensively, but if all that is required is to manually change the sample rate, I'll do it.

Kind regards

Murray

Murray Anderson
Milestone Studios
21 Bloem Street
Cape Town 8001
South Africa
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2017 at 5:13pm
All of the recent versions of ProTools inexplicably force all connected interfaces to 192k when you close Protools. It causes a lot of problems. 
You can go to Audio Midi setup when ProTools is closed, and set the HDX card to 44.1k. Sometimes that will work top prevent it from doing that, and sometimes not. 
Recent versions of ProTools also have a lot of difficulty on launch if any clocking conditions have changed. This is a catch 22, since the interfaces are being set to 192k on shutdown. 

We have new firmware coming out soon for the Aurora, where it will ignore all clock change messages from Protools. We did something similar for the Aurora(n) and it really cleared up those AAE1125 errors on launch. 
In the meantime, just try to set the SR on the Aurora to the same rate last used by ProTools on launch. Its a bit messy, but the new firmware should clear this up. 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
milestone View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milestone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2017 at 2:56am
Thank you.

At the moment, it seems that as long as I manually change the sample rate on the front of the Aurora to anything other than 192, Pro Tools will boot properly.

Looking forward to the new firmware!
Kind regards

Murray

Murray Anderson
Milestone Studios
21 Bloem Street
Cape Town 8001
South Africa
REA Engineering View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REA Engineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2017 at 3:29pm
Hey Paul, 
You may recall I am having a similar issue. My HDX core audio driver actually disappeared from the sound CP and the audiomidi.app. I have been trying to find a solution for a month or so now since this one system is in use at a university and is heavily used by music tech students.
Here is what I found:
If the HDX driver no longer shows in the sound CP and audiomidi.app, the HDX driver will indeed switch over the Aurora 16 to 192kHz and not switch out when Pro Tools is asked to launch. I was using my own admin user account and noticed I could get the sound CP and AM.app to show and control the Aurora sample rate. Going back to the student user account I just found no solution to stop this SR switch. 
I found a preference in the user>Library>Preferences>Avid>AvidAudioServer>HWPreferences that I replaced from the "working" user account. This fixed the issue with the user account that would always force the Aurora into 192 on PT quit and reboot. Now it seems to be a little more stable. I am thinking if I have trouble again I may Lock the preference file to prevent it from being overwritten.

Roger Arnold, MMusTech
Recording Studio Manager @ The University of New Haven
MacPro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 OSX 10.12.6
Aurora 16/HDIO HDX PT12 (x2)

Roger Arnold, MMusTech
Lecturer in Music Tech / Recording Studio Manager
The University of New Haven
Aurora 16 (x3) HDX / HDN / LT-HD
MacPro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
UAD-2 OCTO/QUAD
suenaestudio View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suenaestudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2017 at 7:55am
Hi.

I've had the same problem.

Try to reset the pram and the core audio. That was my solution.

Cheers from Spain
kola4185 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kola4185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2017 at 11:46am
HI Paul,
Is there any update on the new firmware you had mentioned?
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 3:10pm
Roger, 

that is quite helpful. Thank you!
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 3:11pm
AES takes us out next week. I'm hopeful we have something by month's end.  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
milestone View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milestone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2017 at 3:41am
Hi Paul

Any news on the new Aurora 16 firmware? Every time I launch Pro Tools, I still have to manually reset the sample rate of the Aurora before it is recognised.

Thanks.
Kind regards

Murray

Murray Anderson
Milestone Studios
21 Bloem Street
Cape Town 8001
South Africa
kola4185 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kola4185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2018 at 2:00pm
Hi Paul,
We spoke at AES about the firmware. Are there any update?
 Post Reply Post Reply