Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: No input
    Posted: February/28/2017 at 6:01pm
Hi guys,

I'm really lost.

I rarely record anything live, the last time was almost 2 years ago. Everything worked fine. But somehow I can't get any input anymore. I haven't yanked any cables, they work fine. Everything works fine on my mixer, phantom power is on, etc, and I get a signal. But my LynxTwo B just doesn't seem to receive it. Nothing shows up on the record/play window, except the dither and occasional short 'spikes' to araound -20 dB. I even plugged in my active bass and a keyboard, directly into the input of my card. Nothing happens.

The card itself is plugged in nicely, and the cable is attached rock solid. I do get output as usual. So I can't imagine a cracked/damaged cable, even though it's a bit squashed (/angled) at the connector because the cover of my case presses on it. But it's a sturdy cable, right? I tired to move it to see if it would produce any effect, but I can't imagine the cable has an internal break, also because the outputs work fine.

So all I can remember is I might have installed new firmware and drivers over the months/years. With no noticeable problems. I now have the latest driver + firmware. Had no errors or shutdowns during installation. But only just now I notice the firmware description says '16, 2014'. Maybe it didn't work? But even then, it used to work with whatever firmware it had.

I hope you have any ideas? (I've a deadline coming up.... ;)
Maybe I should test or change something....? Hope I've given enough info; I can't think of any more right now, but ask away.

Thanks a lot in advance!

p.s. sorry, I don't see how you can upload a picture here. So here's this screenshot:

https://postimg.org/image/61967zhtv/

*edit: just installed windows on another disk, then the latest driver. Still no activity. I'm beginning to fear it's a hardware problem, or something busted by a firmware update. Yikes.

Edited by Lt.Ltwo - March/01/2017 at 11:40am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2017 at 2:20pm
Next step is to try our Hardware Test. Follow it as closely as possible, especially restoring defaults first. With the current driver Play 1+2 maybe called "Speakers" in the Lynx Demo app. Let us know what you discover. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
Lt.Ltwo View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 7:58am
Hey Paul,

Thanks.
But I get an error ('Eek, this page doesn't exist!'). And I searched the website, but couldn't find the Demo32.exe. Could you direct me to it?

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 5:17pm
Actually you should already have it, the LynxTWO driver installs it automatically. Just go to: Start > Programs > Lynx Studio Technology > Lynx Demo. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lt.Ltwo View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 7:32am
Thanks Paul. I just tried it. Same result as with the rest. Playback is fine, and it only records the spikes of very high levels (everything on my Mackie mixer maxed out. So when I clap or tap the mic, the input shows activity. The actual recorded sound is heavily distorted.

So it does seem to receive something.

But I just made an unsettling discovery: I seem to have put the Lynx cables of output 1 & 2 on the channel 1 & 2 inputs on the Mackie. And those channels receive phantom power (sometimes, when I use my mic). Maybe I've 'fried' something?

Edited by Lt.Ltwo - May/27/2017 at 1:48pm
Lt.Ltwo View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2017 at 6:27am
Do you suppose it would be worth it to send it to you for repair? Are there any indications for how the costs vary for repairs? If I'd buy a new card I'd spend at least 700, but if I could I'd rather stay on the Lynx for the coming years.
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2017 at 4:55pm
Just to clarify, when you ran the hardware test, did you plug the card's outputs directly into the card's inputs, without the mackie involved?  That's the only way to get a valid test result. 
It is possible that if you applied phantom power that you could have damaged the inputs. 
If the hardware test shows distortion on the recorded signal, then we would, most likely, need to repair the card.  Repairs of this sort generally will range from $75 - $150. 
To get an RMA send an email referencing this thread to support@lynxstudio.com with your name, address, phone number and serial number.   
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lt.Ltwo View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2017 at 7:18am
Well, that seems reasonable.

No, I haven't tried to plug things like that. I'm not even sure what hardware test you're referring to, sorry!! I have the app called 'Lynx Demo' on my system, but I wouldn't know what to do with it. Is there a step to step description of this? I did found the following in the old manual, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Windows Quick Audio Test

The installation of your LynxTWO can be tested using the LynxTWO Mixer and the

Sound Recorder application that ships with Windows 95/98/ME and Windows NT/

2000. Any other audio application capable of audio recording and playback can be

used in a similar manner.

1. Connect a stereo analog signal source to the IN 1 and IN 2 connectors on the

Audio cable.

2. Connect the OUT 1 and OUT 2 connectors to an amplifier or mixer capable of

delivering an audio signal for listening via headphones or speakers.

3. Open the LynxTWO Mixer by double clicking on the mixer icon.

4. In the LynxTWO Mixer, set the Trim to either +4 dBu or -10 dBV to match the

signal level of the connected equipment.

5. In the LynxTWO Mixer Record Panel, route the Record 1 Left & Right signal

from the Analog In 1 & 2 to the Analog Out 1 & 2. This is done by pressing the “1”

button for Record 1 Left and pressing the “2” button for Record 1 Right.
 Post Reply Post Reply