July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedDante for Lynx Hilo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dante for Lynx Hilo
    Posted: February/05/2017 at 4:49am
Good morning,

I have a couple of questions about your new Dante LT- card:

1. I use the Lynx Hilo only for listening - not for recording stuff. Right now I am spending quite a bit of effort to get a clean signal from my Computer to the Hilo (Computer:Ethernet - microRendu (Ethernet to USB-Converter/mini streamer) - USB-Isolator (AFI-USB) - via AES to Lynx Hilo) - would a Dante solution still be at least equal to that setup so I could get rid of that stuff? As far as I know in most cases ethernet connections are superior to USB because ethernet is galvanically isolated by principle.

2. would it be possible to get a direct connection from my Computer (with Dante Virtual Soundcard) to the Hilo (without a router)?

best wishes,

Christian
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2017 at 8:58am
1. Frankly, you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  What research have you done that shows with measurements that having any sort of isolation between the USB port and the Hilo has any sonic advantages?

2. Yes.

Edited by David A Hoatson - February/05/2017 at 8:59am
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2017 at 1:17pm
This is great support - even on Sunday!

So - when should you think about buying your Dante card?

best wishes,

Christian

nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2017 at 2:22pm
Tried to acheive the Dante Card anywhere - no success.
Is it already in production?
and again:
If I replace my Hilo-USB-card by the Dante card can I expect some benefit soundwise?

regards,

Christian
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2017 at 3:34pm
The LT-DANTE is not yet shipping.  We hope to have it shipping in the next couple of weeks.  All of our LSlot cards are bit-perfect, so there will be no audio quality difference between any of them.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2017 at 12:56pm
Hurah - LT-Dante now available in Germany!
I just ordered a unit.

Some technical questions:
Is this card produced by your company or by Audinate?
What about your syncrolock-technology - does it somehow work together with the LT-Dante-Clock?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2017 at 1:26pm
Yes, it is shipping now!

The LT-DANTE is made by Lynx.  The Brooklyn II module that is attached to the LT-DANTE is made by Audinate.  This will be the case with nearly every Dante product on the market as it is nearly impossible to make a Dante product without using the Brooklyn II (or similar) module from Audinate.

We recommend that you clock the Hilo to the Dante board, so yes the SynchroLock on the Hilo would still give the same excellent analog performance you are used to with the Hilo.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2017 at 1:37pm
"...We recommend that you clock the Hilo to the Dante board..."

won`t this be case anyways when I put the card inside the Hilo?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2017 at 1:42pm
Not really.  You can still clock internally or from the word clock connector.  Either of those requires a bit more setup on Dante Controller to make it work properly.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2017 at 1:52pm
o.K. - I`ll ask you again when the Dante unit has arrived (probably next week - talked to the people from the German distributor (lynxstudio.de) today -they told me that they were astonished how many people have ordered the Dante unit (so they had to order quit a bit of new units - mine will arrive end of the week).
When I replace my USB-Unit by the Dante unit can I still use Hilo remote? (your German distributor assumes that but he couldn`t tell for sure)
And another question: where do I see the master volume button?
My monitors are attached to line out, my sub to monitor out - as far as I can see I have only 2 volume regulators (line out and monitor out) but I would expect to see a third one (master out) to controll volume of both. Is there a new version of Hilo Remote - tried to download again but no other version was offered than my old one?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2017 at 2:07pm
There is a new version of Hilo Remote coming that will fully support LT-DANTE.  Master Out is only available on the Hilo itself, not in Hilo Remote.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2017 at 12:59pm
LT-Dante arrived and installed but haven`t managed to get it working so far:

Dante is shown in my Hilo, so installation must have been successfull.
Settings/information in Hilo:

Sample Rate 192 khz
Sync Source: internal
SynchroLock: "locked"
SRC: unlocked (can`t get it locked when switched on)
Dig in status: unlocked
Routing:
left:
Inputs to line out
Dante 1-2 "green"
right side: everything green (Line out, Monitor out)

Dante controller:
Information:
Routing:
Dante receivers:
it shows "Mac Book" and below: Lynx-DNT-0fedb2
but I see a yellow triangle with ! beside "Lynx-DNT-0fedb2"
Device Info:
Mac Book Pro: primary link speed 1Gbs (I use a Cat6 cable)
Lynx-DNT: primary link speed 1 Gbs
Clock Status:
both devices have a green sign under "Sync"
Clock Source: Mac Book Pro: "Dante"/Lynx-DNT: "External Lock"
Primary Status: Slave/Master
Prrefered Master: Slave only/unchecked
Enable Sync to external: N/A and under Lynx-DNT: checked
Network status: here I have again the yellow triangle with ! under Lynx DNT
Latency Setting: 10 ms/1 ms; Latency Status: unchecked; Paket errors: both green
Events: here I always see the information: "Response Timeout error"

Tried to change in Lynx Hilo from internal clock to "Dante" - no improvement and here I am only offered 48khz.
I am using a player (HQ Player) which upsamples to 192 khz - if I use Lynx clock or Dante Clock doesn´t matter: I always see an output sample frequency of 48 khz.

So - I need some help please.
Thanks in advance,

Christian

nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2017 at 12:16pm
Hello David,

I managed to get rid of the "subscription" problem (I suppose so - at least the yellow triangle has gone).
I have turned sample rates of the LT-Dante card as well as of the Mac Book/Dante Virtual card to 192 Khz which is shown as sample rate in the Hilo Display. (all my music title are upsampled to 192 khz by my music player (HQ Player), Dante virtual card chosen as output)
But I still don`t get any sound:
That is what I see right now in the Hilo:
Settings:
Sample Rate 192
Sync source Dante or Internal (depending on if I have chosen enable Sync to external in Dante Controller or not)
SynchroLock: "Locked"
Dig in source: here I can only choose between AES/SPDIF Coax/SPDIF opt
SRC: unlocked (I can`t change that despite of SRC "on"

System:
Dig in status: always "unlocked"

Rotary Control Settings:
Master out/Line out/Monitor out (I am running 2 monitors via Line Out and a subwoofer via Monitor out)

Routing:
Line in/Digital in/Dante 1-2: completely green on the left side
right side: Line out completely green, the other stuff (Monitor out/Phones/AES out/SPDIF coax/Dante/SPDIF out) with green frames

So I would be grateful for some help (I feel I am pretty close to a solution right now, maybe only a problem of the routing inside the Hilo),

regards and thanks in advance,

Christian

Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2017 at 1:59pm
Hi Christian,

Set the Hilo meters to "ALL I/O". When you play audio. are the DANTE Play meters showing signal?
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
Sales & Support Coordinator
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2017 at 3:46pm
Hello Christian, you might also try doing a restore default on the Hilo.  That should setup everything (including the clock source) properly on the Hilo side.  You still need to route audio from your computer to the Hilo using Dante Controller and make sure both devices are running the same sample rate.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2017 at 11:56am
Hello David,
thanks a lot for your help, it now works.
In your manual you officially advise to use Dante clock but you advised me to choose external clock from Hilo instead - is that right?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2017 at 2:16pm
No.  Hilo should be set to "Dante" as the clock source, that way you don't have to make any changes to Dante Controller as far as the clocking goes.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2017 at 10:40am
it sounds fantastic (better than anytime before!!) - why are`nt you guys advertising Dante more?

Technically as far I have understood data transfer is fully determined by protocol as opposed to USB/streaming (which is influenced by timing/clocking) - so there must be virtually no jitter.
Also there must be be a very exact channel information/timing in Dante as channels are transfered separately as opposed to AES/EBU (channel information (right/left) are transfered in one "parcel").

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>