January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedDante for Lynx Hilo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Max Galkin View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Galkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dante for Lynx Hilo
    Posted: December/13/2017 at 9:03pm
Thank you, one more point in favor of Lynx Hilo :)
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2017 at 4:40pm
Yes, that should be fine with Dante Virtual Soundcard. It just needs to be bit perfect
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
Max Galkin View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Galkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2017 at 1:34am
Paul, I have one question:
LT-Dante card support DSD format (DoP)?
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2017 at 3:58pm
Dante is designed for dynamic clocking between devices. So, if a device is taken off line, the clocking ecosystem remains intact. 

If you have a system that has stable elements, then there's no problem specifying the Hilo as the clock master. Just tag it for External Clock and Preferred Clock Source int he Dante Controller. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2017 at 9:33am
after having switched to Dante Clock and back to Hilo Clock (ext sync) I find Hilo's clock more palatable right now, kind of "warmer". Why do you guys recommend the Dante Clock instead?
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2017 at 11:31am
I'm afraid not, the ethernet port for the hilo-Dante is only for Dante protocol. 

When measuring performance between Dante and T-bolt, there is no difference in distortion, crosstalk, frequency response, etc. Both are bit-perfect mediums. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
xtraktz View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtraktz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2017 at 3:42am
Originally posted by PaulTech PaulTech wrote:

Originally posted by xtraktz xtraktz wrote:

What interface will be sound better for home system Dante or Thunderbolt ?

There should be no difference sonically. Thunderbolt will provide lower latency operation to and from your computer though. 

Nikander has a real sound improvements when moving from USB to Dante. According to reviews from other users Thunderbolt sounds better than USB interface. But both aren't galvanically isolated like Dante. Perhaps this is the reason for the superiority of the Dante, when playing music from a computer? But I did not see anywhere comparing Hilo's Dante vs Thunderbolt.

Is it possible to transfer audio data through DLNA using direct ethernet connection mac (using Roon or Jriver) ->Hilo ?

Edited by xtraktz - September/01/2017 at 3:43am
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2017 at 12:42pm
thanks a lot for your information!
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by nikander nikander wrote:

It takes about a minute for SynchroLock to adjust to Dante Clock in my system - why is it advisable to turn SynchroLock on?
And another question: you are advertising a new version of SynchroLock ("2") in your new Aurora converters - is it different from Hilo`s SynchroLock?

Synchrolock allows the unit to slave to an external clock while still referencing its crystal oscillator. Crystal is more accurate than a PLL so there is a reduction in jitter. The Dante clock is very low jitter, so you might be fine turning syncrhrolock OFF in this case. 

Syncjhrolock 2 is more accurate than the original synchrolock and locks more quickly, @ 1/2 the time of synchrolock 1. It is only on the Aurora(n), not on the Hilo. 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 3:58pm

There should be no difference sonically. Thunderbolt will provide lower latency operation to and from your computer though. 

Is there any point in changing my LT-TB card with Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Active SE cable (It's really better than an Apple TB cable)

I've never encountered any data to indicate that there is any benefit to that. It should not sound any different, perhaps more reliable...

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
nikander View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2017 at 11:53am
Dear Michael, Dear David,

can`t appreciate enough how versatile your products are - esp. long term.
I don`t know many companies who listen to their customers that carefully and who offer continous updates in all of their products.
As I have told LT-Dante has turned my Hilo in another "beast" - the sound is more transparent, imaging is now even more "rock solid".
I suppose that most of the Hilo Reviews have to be done again....
One technical question:
It takes about a minute for SynchroLock to adjust to Dante Clock in my system - why is it advisable to turn SynchroLock on?
And another question: you are advertising a new version of SynchroLock ("2") in your new Aurora converters - is it different from Hilo`s SynchroLock?

regards,

Christian
xtraktz View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtraktz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2017 at 2:06am
Is there any point in changing my LT-TB card with Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Active SE cable (It's really better than an Apple TB cable) for LT-Dante if I use mac mini as a transport/player, and the files are stored on NAS connected through ethernet to router->mac mini.
tomcowland View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomcowland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2017 at 12:29am
Hey Michael,

Yeah (the Dante Controller is happy it has a valid external source too). Out of interest, is this the right understanding:

- Each Brooklyn board has its own clock that can be elected to network master.
  - When you're clocking the Hilo to Dante, then the Hilo uses that instead of its internal clock.
  - If you turn on SyncroLock then the Hilo (tries to) sync its clock to the Brooklyn board clock (so you'd get any benefits from the improved stability of the Hilo clock)

or

- If you use Internal clock and correctly configure the Dante setup, then the Hilo's Internal clock is fed to the Brooklyn board as an 'external' clock source, the Hilo clock (can) become the network clock.

Many thanks,
Tom

Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2017 at 3:50pm
Tom, in Dante Controller, is "Enable Sync To External" checked?
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
Sales & Support Coordinator
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomcowland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2017 at 1:13pm
Hey folks,  for what it's worth, I just tried on Hilo internal clock (with appropriate clock setting adjustments in the Dante Controller), and have had 20 mins click free.

Love the sound of this thing.
'best
Tom
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2017 at 1:13pm
Timing Master is always shown in Dante Controller on the Clock Status tab and also in the header of the window.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomcowland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2017 at 1:01pm
Hey, its with an Apple Thunderbolt adapter. I'm not seeing any packet loss in the Dante Controller though (was before with a bad cable).

'best
Tom
Grauwacke View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grauwacke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2017 at 12:45pm
Hi, Tom
I wonder how your Macbook Air is connected to the Dante network, because I didnt see a proper RJ45 connector for ethernet in the specs at Apple?
best regards,
Helge
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>