Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lynx Forum > Lynx Support Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pro Tools 12.5-6 very high CPU usage with LT-TB
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November 14, 2017: macOS Driver Build 58D now Available
November 13, 2017: Windows Driver Version 2 Build 23i now Available
November 9, 2017: Firmware Update 1.7 for Aurora(n) now Available
November 6, 2017: Aurora(n) User Manual (Firmware 1.7) now Available
July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedPro Tools 12.5-6 very high CPU usage with LT-TB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Tools 12.5-6 very high CPU usage with LT-TB
    Posted: October/17/2016 at 8:08pm
Just got my LT-TB card, installed it, everything is up to date...  I'm running it from a Dell Precision 5510 laptop, which has Thunderbolt 3, thru a TBT3-2 adapter.  Started up Pro Tools 12.5 (and later 12.6) and found that an old session I'd recorded at 24/96 cranked my CPU up so high it couldn't play back at the default 256 sample buffer...  Robotic sounding audio from all the glitches.  The session doesn't need to be open, either...  Just having Pro Tools running, and the Aurora at 96 kHz sample rate, seems to be enough to crank up the CPU usage.

Cranking the sample buffer up to 2048 samples yielded lower CPU usage, and occasional glitches.  I spent an hour on the phone with an Avid support agent, who tried poking around in my machine.  We found that switching to another ASIO device in the machine brought the CPU usage for that session down to about 20%.  We installed a driver called ASIO4ALL, which apparently wraps WDM devices up for ASIO use.  When using ASIO4ALL, CPU usage in Pro Tools remained low (though playback I/O mapping was incorrect).  Given that, the support agent said it looked like a driver issue, and suggested that I contact Lynx, as well as to update the firmware on my LT-TB card.  (Did that update; no change.)

Adding round trip latency (via hardware inserts) causes higher CPU usage and more glitches.  I can max out at 3 inserts.  This high CPU usage occurs only on core #1, which is at 100%; the rest of the cores are running around 15-20%.

It does seem there is something up with the Lynx ASIO Driver V2 that doesn't play nice with Pro Tools.

Edited by soundman1402 - October/17/2016 at 8:10pm
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2016 at 5:28pm
This is an issue that appeared in pro Tools 12.5, 12.4 works fine. This is also not an issue with any other ASIO application, including all previous versions of ProTools. The heavy reliance on a single core has nothing to do with the driver also, that is a consequence of the multi-threading within ProTools. 
We will continue to look at it, but it is unclear if anything can be done driver-side. High latency drivers (like USB devices, ASIO4ALL) seem less effected, but we designed the AES16e drivers to be capable of low latencies since that is required of users. Keep in mind, that 20% CPU usage for ASIO4ALL is still quite high, there is something not right with the audio engine here. 

In the meantime, if you can revert to PT 12.4, you will see normal behavior return. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
soundman1402 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2016 at 1:22pm
Thanks for the response!

I sent this thread over to Avid; they sent me a link to download PT 12.4.  I will reinstall the LT-TB tonight, and install PT 12.4, and we'll see how things work then.
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 9:06pm
Pro Tools 12.4 is BETTER...  But it's not what I'd call "normal".  256 samples buffer was glitchy, with 100% CPU.  512 sample buffer plays back smoothly, with about 50% CPU...  That's an improvement over a 2048 sample buffer, but it's sure not a 32-sample buffer.
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2016 at 11:06pm
What sample rate are you using, what number of channels?
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
tlockett View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 11:59am
I too I'm having the processor overload with AVID PT 12.5.x and 12.6 on a Windows 10 workstation.
I have been in contact with Lynx about this problem, but yesterday I opened a Customer Care case with AVID, they informed me they will report the problem to the headquarters to resolve the problem with Lynx.
Now what this all means...who knows, but I and others wnat this issue resolved so we can continue to use Pro Tools with Lynx moving forward.
Now that being said my Lynx Aurora 16 LT-TB works great with Mac OSX 10.11.6 and PT 12.6
This issue appears to be with Windows only and the ASIO drivers
So let's hope Lynx and AVID can find a solution soon.
Cheers
Tommy
Intel Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5 GHz Processor
ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1, 64gb Ram
Win 10 Pro

2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad core, 16g ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6

PT HD 12.5
Cubase Pro 8.5

Lynx Aurora
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2016 at 12:31pm
Right, this is a Windows only issue.  PT 12.6 on macOS works without this problem.  A couple of other customers also opened a case about it, so I wouldn't hold my breath that AVID is going to do anything about it.  We have looked at this issue quite a bit and can only determine that AVID changed something between PT 12.4 and PT 12.5 that caused the problem...
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2016 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by David A Hoatson David A Hoatson wrote:

What sample rate are you using, what number of channels?

96kHz, and number of channels doesn't matter; I don't even need a session file open. The only requirements are that the Pro Tools application is running, with a low sample buffer and high sample rate. (The problem is proportional within those constraints... Higher sample rates and smaller buffers produce higher CPU usage, but CPU is abnormally high in any setting.)
don4777 View Drop Down
Lynx Beta Tester
Lynx Beta Tester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 11:04am
There are several people that have reported this to Avid and have posted to threads here at Lynx and on Aivd's forum.  I am seeing exactly the same thing you are seeing.  It would seem to be fairly easy for Avid to work on this if they become interested enough.  Something changed between 12.4 and 12.5 that affects the Lynx AES16e and TB interface.  The problem is not dependent on session content - which would have made this more difficult for them to reproduce and debug.  Like you said, we don't even need to have a session open to see the problem.  I see the same issue with Windows 7 and Windows 10, AES16e or TB, and nothing but the software delivered as part of Pro Tools - no 3rd software of any kind.  I suspect that this is an Avid problem and NOT Lynx as ALL other DAWS I have tried work 100%.  Pro Tools post-12.4 is all that is affected.  And Avid isn't concerned with the problem.  I guess Avid could argue that it has to be a Lynx problem since all other audio interfaces are working with PT 12.5 and beyond.  If not for the fact that PT 12.4 and earlier versions work with the Lynx drivers and what changed that made it stop working are changes that Avid made going to 12.5 - not Lynx - I would be more likely to believe Avid's story that the problem is with the Lynx drivers.  The only other explanation is that Lynx implemented something incorrectly in their drivers that wasn't used by any DAW until PT 12.5.  But I think David/Paul have checked their driver thoroughly.  I seem to recall Paul mentioning at one point that Microsoft had commented that there was an error in the way Avid had implemented ASIO.  If true, that may be what we are now seeing.  Some of us were hoping that Lynx could come up with a work around to make their driver as tolerant as other ASIO device drivers are to the PT implementation.

So those of us with this problem are stuck at 12.4 - Even though we have to keep paying for upgrades to avoid paying the huge penalty that we incur if we let our plan lapse. I find I am using Cubase, Studio One and Sonar more as time goes by - and would drop Pro Tools completely if not for the fact that I have an Avid C24 that only works with Pro Tools.  I guess in the long term if this isn't fixed I will need to decide which I would miss more.  Pro Tools and the C24 - or my Lynx Aurora (which I love!).  I won't have to make that decision for a while.

Don
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2016 at 3:48pm
Good points all Don
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
don4777 View Drop Down
Lynx Beta Tester
Lynx Beta Tester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2016 at 2:06pm
I just tried the latest version (12.6.1) of Pro Tools.  There was no change regarding this problem.  With no session even loaded the CPU utilization is close to 100%.  I can't load and play a session even at the highest buffer settings.  I went back to 12.4 again and everything works great.  CPU utilization down in the single digits.  

At this point, unless Lynx can somehow make their driver work like other interface drivers with respect to Pro Tools 12.5 and newer, it would appear the only path forward for Pro Tools users is to move to a different audio interface.  Most probably one that isn't as good as the Lynx Aurora.  I have no idea what the other DAWs are doing differently but I'm guessing that Avid is using a different method of calculating CPU utilization starting with the 12.5 release.  They are showing no interest in going back.   There is getting to be quite a few changes that have been made to Pro Tools (fixes/enhancements) and at some point I am going to want to update to a more recent version.  I have already paid my fee for one year of the Avid subscription fee that I can't use.  I can't do another year if I can't upgrade past 12.4.

Don

Edited by don4777 - December/05/2016 at 6:37pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2016 at 11:16am
Don,

So far we have been unable to get AVID to respond to any requests.  We can see nothing on our end that would cause such issues with ProTools CPU meter under Windows (for other readers of this thread, this issue is for ProTools for Windows ONLY).  No other applications show a similar problem and PT12.4 doesn't have the issue.  I have spent MANY hours trying to figure out what the hell they are doing differently with PT12.5+ but I frankly can't figure out what they changed and as I said, AVID isn't responding to any inquiries.  I understand your point about other interfaces, but I have an equal point to other software working properly (including PT12.4!).

Our ASIO driver has been running fine on Windows for something like 17 years...  We can't fix what we didn't break.  We will keep working on it from this end, but I'm not hopeful that we will find anything that will help fix what AVID broke.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2016 at 11:41am
Don,

I was just playing around with some settings within PT12.5 and I checked the "Ignore errors" and the "Minimize additional latency" check boxes in the Playback Engine dialog.  I noticed that even though I had 64 samples set as my ASIO buffer size in PT12.5, it opened our driver with 32 sample buffer size and the CPU meter was acting normally (less then 10% for "The Legion" demo project).  I also limited my I/O to 8 in our ASIO Control Panel. 

Would you mind trying to duplicate my test?
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
don4777 View Drop Down
Lynx Beta Tester
Lynx Beta Tester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2016 at 8:03am
Hi David,

I ran the test and found that as soon as I checked "Ignore Errors" the CPU utilization dropped to what it was under 12.4 (around 20%).  Unfortunately I get lots of errors when playing the track in the form of clicks/pops.  This is very inconsistent.  Sometimes it looks like it is actually going to play but eventually gets some clicks.  Other times when I start playback I get LOTS of errors resulting in multiple clicks per second.  On a few occasions the stream would play but NO sound even made it through the Aurora.  The LEDs showed no activity.

I tried as few as 2 channels and buffers as high as 1024 which I verified via the Lynx Mixer.  Unfortunately I have found no way to get consistent behavior once I checked "Ignore Errors" making it difficult to provide solid test results.   With any of the testing I have done I was able to get perfect playback and low CPU utilization as soon as I changed the Audio Device to the internal sound device on the ASUS motherboard.  Sorry I can't provide additional helpful information.  

It is unfortunate that Avid won't work with you to explain what they changed between version 12.4 and 12.5.  I am beginning to think that the only way this will be fixed is as a by-product of their work to resolve the other CPU spikes that have been reported by many users.

Don
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2016 at 8:41am
Don,

What is interesting about the "Ignore Errors" checkbox is that we don't report any errors to ProTools.  So I'm not quite sure what the box is supposed to do.  Very strange.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2017 at 9:36am
After working on this for several months, we now have a work-around for this very troublesome issue.  Please try out Windows Driver Version 2 Build 23f (see the link above).  It should cure the high CPU usage issue reported in this thread.

Edited by David A Hoatson - June/30/2017 at 9:48am
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
amarqu1 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2017 at 1:53pm
David,

Thanks for doing that.  Avid owes you a cold beverage.

I put in a support ticket for installation of these drivers.  After installing the E or F drivers, I get an error message that the they are unsigned and therefore inactivated by Windows.  I'm guessing this is something specific to my setup, but at this point all of my attempts to get the drivers to work are fruitless.  The B drivers I'm currently using will install just fine.  I'm wondering if I need to do some sort of manual purge of the old drivers to make room for the new ones.  Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
- Andre
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2017 at 6:08pm
Sorry, but we are closed for the holiday.  I'll follow up with you on the support ticket system on Wednesday.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>