January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedHuge problem with Protools 12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huge problem with Protools 12
    Posted: April/08/2015 at 4:59am
Hello all, this is my first post here. Hope someone can help me out really soon :(

I think there's an issue with the Aurora USB driver and ProTools 12. I need to get it to work on a windows 8.1 system.

Is this a known problem? Pro tools seems to freeze but it doesn't, I turn off the Aurora and it works. This is happening in the worst possible moment, any ideas about how to fix this?

What's happening Lynx guys, why isn't there a driver update? It had problems even with PT10, because pro tools can't control nor the playback engine buffer nor the sample rate freely.

This is very frustrating. Not even reseting the whole system works. Sometimes it does, on a 1/15 ratio. I'm pretty sure this has to do with windows setting the sample rate to 44.1khz and the unstable driver through which Pro tools freezes. I work on these sample rates: 88.2 / 96 / 176,4.

Hope I won't have to rent another studio to finish the ongoing projects.

Driver version: 1.63.0 (tried other versions too)
DLL API version: 4.0
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2015 at 8:58am
Please use driver Version 2.20 as it has specific changes for ProTools.  Let us know if that improves the situation for you.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
Aldus D View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2015 at 10:03pm
Thank you David for the fast answer.

The new driver didn't improve the situation. But I noticed new things that might help others with this issue and might have some value to develop a fix.

The problem seems to be that pro tools can't take control of the Aurora. I tested 1.55 1.63 and 2.20 drivers with other softwares and they all work fine. You can playback a 96khz sample rate audio, then try a 176.4khz one, etc with no issues. Windows based video and audio players work as expected. Same with buffer sizes. They just set the Aurora to the needed sample rate automatically.

It works better with Protools 10. Sometimes PT10 can't "take control"over windows -I suppose. It would say that changes have been made to the DAE, and would ask to restart pro tools 10. In some cases it would open the session but won't be able to playback. These are minor issues compared to the one I'm experiencing with pro tools 12. In pro tools 10, a restart of pro tools fixes the issue.

Having said that, I want to share a work-a-round I found useful.

No matter what, if the buffer size is set to 1024 samples, pro tools 12 will start up normally 8 times out of 10. When it won't work, I noticed Pro tools seems to freeze right after the "initializing controllers" message, right before the "create or open session"screen.

If it did startup normally up to that create or open session screen, you can close Pro Tools, set the buffer size you'll need, reopen pro tools 12 and it will work until the studio calls it a day and we shut down the computer, or someone closes Pro tools and windows plays back some system sound, in which case the aurora will be set to 44.1khz automatically and everything starts over. Same happens the next day.

This doesn't happen in OSX. So.. I believe the problem resides in the way pro tools tries to take control of the converter through the driver in windows.
 Post Reply Post Reply