Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lynx Forum > Lynx Support Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cubase 8 Pro Asio Guard not working with AES-16e
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November 14, 2017: macOS Driver Build 58D now Available
November 13, 2017: Windows Driver Version 2 Build 23i now Available
November 9, 2017: Firmware Update 1.7 for Aurora(n) now Available
November 6, 2017: Aurora(n) User Manual (Firmware 1.7) now Available
July 5, 2017: Aurora(n)-USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available

Forum LockedCubase 8 Pro Asio Guard not working with AES-16e

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubase 8 Pro Asio Guard not working with AES-16e
    Posted: February/26/2015 at 8:25am
Hi. I posted this to Cubase forums, but I was told to post it here. So here goes :

C8 halts randomly, with AsioGuard and Lynx ASIO

Hi I posted this before, but now I have a new finding: These happen with AsioGuard enabled and Lynx AES-16e ASIO interface. When I use my other audio interface, there is no problem at all. I uninstalled all Lynx stuff and reinstalled the drivers, nothing changed.

The problem is :

When I'm adding a track, or deleting one, I get these random halts about up to 1 min long... and after the waiting is over, all is back to normal. There's no crash, no anything.

Sometimes the same thing happens when I delete an insert plugin, or send.

How to reproduce it :

1. Open empty project (Check that ASIO is set to Lynx, AsioGuard enabled)
2. Add audio track (sometimes I get the freeze here)
3. Add group track (most of the time I get freeze here)
4. Add or delete tracks
5. In about a few random adding or deleting tracks, I have Cubase frozen.

Thanks.
steinberg cubase 8.0.5 pro / intel 5960x / asus x99 deluxe / 32gb ddr4 / vst connect pro / vsl ensemble pro 5 / steinberg cmc-ch / korg nanokontrol2 / spl 2control / lynx aes-16e / lynx aurora 16vt / uad quad / pmc tb-2a / genelec 8050a

Edited by sonic74 - February/26/2015 at 10:47am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2015 at 4:46pm
It seems quite possible that the LynxASIO driver is just not compatible with ASIO Guard. There are a number of limitations that Steinberg has posted. Have you checked this list out? 
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/details-on-asio-guard-in-cubase-and-nuendo

What driver and firmware revisions are you using for the AES16e? Have you tried any different firmware or driver revs with your Cubase system? 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
bigboi View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2015 at 12:47am
I can totally confirm this.....and boy is it frustrating.  I have two aurora 16 running on pcie cards, and they are running fairly horrible with Cubase 8.05 and Asio guard.  And this is after BUYING a Haswell 5960, 32 gigs of 2400 ram, all ssd drives, fresh windows 8 install, and fresh Cubase 8 install.

All the while, people running with $150 soundcards are kicking our butts.  Man..PLEASE get this sorted guys!

Frank
sonic74 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2015 at 5:28pm
Hi Paul.

I have read that info about AsioGuard, but there is nothing in my setup that can prevent it. Also, as I wrote before, (steps to reproduce this weird problem) it happens even on a completely blank project, without anything loaded... (And Cubase 7 is just fine)

My info is as follows :

Lynx Mixer Version: 2.00 Build 22
Build Date: Dec  4 2014

LynxWDM.Dll Version: 2.00 Build 22
LynxV264.Sys Version: 2.00 Build 22

1: Lynx AES16e
Firmware Version: 13.1   Date: May 02, 2014

It is strange that in the last update, Steinberg fixed a similar situation with their Asio system for another Audio card manufacturer (albeit not exactly about Asio Guard), but when I posted the request (seen above), they replied that I should post this to you.

Thanks.

sonic

steinberg cubase 8.0.10 pro / intel 5960x / asus x99 deluxe / 32gb ddr4 / vst connect pro / vsl ensemble pro 5 / steinberg cmc-ch / korg nanokontrol2 / spl 2control / lynx aes-16e / lynx aurora 16vt / uad quad / pmc tb-2a / genelec 8050a

Edited by sonic74 - March/13/2015 at 5:45pm
sonic74 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2015 at 8:08am
I want to inform you that since updating to Cubase Pro 8.0.10, I don't have any of those random cpu halts any more (fingers crossed).

thanks.

all the best,
sonic
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2015 at 9:43am
Thanks for the update.  Glad it is working for you.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
sonic74 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2015 at 3:41pm
Hi David. After working that day without any problems (and maybe too quick to report you), today I have all those problems again :( And again when I switch to other asio driver, there's no problem... On Asio Lynx, the random lockup/freezes happen... (with Asio Guard on)

I would appreciate if you could discuss this subject with Steinberg.

Thanks again.

sonic
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2015 at 3:26pm
I have been doing extensive testing with Cubase 8.0.10 over the last few days with ASIO Guard ON and have not found any issues.  I am using a newer driver and firmware (firmware is 13.2, driver is a beta I'm working on now).  We are also doing testing with older drivers as well.  So far we have found nothing to indicate that ASIO Guard would have any impact from our driver (meaning ASIO Guard should be driver agnostic). 

I'll update here once we have completed all of our testing.

It is also important to understand how ASIO Guard works.  If you just sit back and do playback, ASIO Guard will give a big performance boost.  If you are continually changing volumes, pan and other parameters while tracking or playing back, that negates what ASIO Guard can do.  In other words (more simplistic terms), ASIO Guard makes it seem like you can do a project much more complex than your computer could really handle - as long as you don't mess with things that ASIO Guard has already pre-computed. 

It would be interesting to know if you were seeing problems while just sitting back and letting the app playback, or if you were fiddling around and then you saw the problem.

Update: OK, I finally got around to reading the thread over on the Steinberg forum.  I see that it was causing a problem on RME cards as well.  And I see that the problem occurred when you were adding tracks or changing things (thus causing the ASIO Guard cache to be flushed).  Seems like there might be something that Steinberg might be able to improve - but I still haven't seen what you saw.

Edited by David A Hoatson - March/24/2015 at 3:42pm
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
sonic74 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2015 at 6:13am
Thanks David. The strange thing is that I sometimes don't have this issue at all (rarely). This surely feels like something's broken with Steinberg's code. The reason that I carried this subject to here and took your time is because I was told to do so.

...OK, no more complaining :) Thanks again for your help. 

EDIT: I got response to my thread from Steinberg and other people having similar issues...

All the best,

sonic

Edited by sonic74 - April/07/2015 at 4:38am
cpechet View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2015 at 2:52pm
As far as I can tell there has been no action on this item notwithstanding the release of Cubase 8.0.2. I am still experiencing this problem.

Casey
cpechet View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2015 at 10:42am
David - It is interesting that both sonic74 and I are using an Asus x99 deluxe mobo. Have you tested this board or any x99 chipset boards?

Thanks

Casey
cpechet View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 10:17am
After additional testing I believe this bug applies only to projects created in 8.0.10. Projects created in 8.0.2 do not exhibit this problem.

Thanks

Casey  
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 10:28am
Thanks for the additional info.  We are working with Steinberg on this issue right now.  I'll forward your message to them.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
cpechet View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2015 at 3:07pm
Thank you for researching this issue. Of course there may be users who, for whatever reason, wish to stay with 8.0.10 but in my case my concerns are satisfied.

thanks again for you assistance.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2015 at 8:42am
sonic74, can you confirm that 8.0.20 fixes the issue for you as well?
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2015 at 11:51am
Upon hearing nothing else from sonic74, and Steinberg considers this fixed with 8.0.20, so we are closing this case.

Edited by David A Hoatson - June/29/2015 at 11:51am
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
cpechet View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2015 at 10:05am
Thanks David.
alternate View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2015 at 7:56am
Hi Guys,
I have an AES 16e >AES>Hilo and I am running C8 (latest version 8.02) with latest hardware drivers on a dual Xeon 2697 64gb Win7 64.  Because of the large computer power, Task Manager always shows very little CPU and Disk usage even with large projects.  I start getting dropouts, spikes, clicks, freezes at about 10% Asio Meter and  usually becomes unusable at about 30% Asio (which is the most I've gotten to). Also it seems to get worse over the course of  time of having project open. 
I see from this forum and the Steinberg forum that others have this problem.  i see in this thread that one individual seems to have the challenge alleviated (though none of the other posters seem to have indicated their status).  v 8.02 of the software did not alleviate the problem for me.  
Any thoughts on this? 
Thanks very much for the help.
Cheers
IWM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>