Forum LockedMulti Device Mixer - patching problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi Device Mixer - patching problem
    Posted: December/23/2014 at 5:45pm
Hello Forum ,
I have an Aurora 8 and Aurora 16 connected into 2 AES16e cards in a Mac computer .  I have set up an Aggregate device and combined these .  On the new 2014 on screen Lynx Mixer the 2 devices show as 1:AES16e and 2:AES16e .  Is it possible to patch an Analogue Out signal from one of these devices to an Analogue Out channel in the other device ??  Since they are not on the mixer screen at the same time but only come up on their  screen when their respective Tab is pressed I have not been able to figure out how to do this .  I have only a moderate working level of understanding of the mixer panel so would appreciate any assistance with this .  I have read the manuals and watched the video tutorial but can't see where this subject is covered ( maybe this is not doable ?? )
Thanking You,
Ross
ross
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2014 at 9:23am
Hi Ross,

You cannot cross patch in that manner since there is no physical audio connection between the two cards...
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
ross20 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2015 at 4:12am
Hello Michael ,
Thank you for the reply to my enquiry .   I have used a work around on this situation since receiving your reply .    
I am now wondering does the LT-TB  Thunderbolt expansion card change this situation ?  by allowing an Aurora 8 and Aurora 16 to be daisy chained together ? ... and does this require only one expansion card for the 2 devices ?  I assume also that a thunderbolt adaptor can be retrofitted to my mid 2010 Mac Pro to receive the Thunderbolt cable ??   The net result of all this being that cross patching of the sort mentioned in the original forum question may then be possible ??
Any insights into this would be appreciated .
Thanks ,
Ross
ross
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 10:28am
Hi Ross,

While you can daisy-chain Thunderbolt devices and create an Aggregate, they are still treated as separate devices so no, that type of cross-monitoring is still not possible.

To what type of adapter are you referring?  Thunderbolt to FireWire adapters have not been reliable.

Edited by Mike N - September/14/2015 at 10:28am
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
ross20 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2015 at 4:42am
Hello Mike ,
Thanks for the reply to my enquiry . I am able to configure things in another way to make them work but was wondering if the thunderbolt connections might be an option so thanks for putting that straight for me . I was thinking of the firewire to thunderbolt adaptors and was not aware of problems with them so thanks for the information on that as well .  
I have had a good run for a fair while ... concentrating on making music rather than the hardware   ( flute with bricasti reverb ) ...  but have recently struck a problem with distortion on both record and playback which despite a fair amount of effort to sort it out have been unable to do so .  The distortion is not clipping ( well below on meters ) and at lower levels sounds like a " crackling " sound clustered around the notes of music and at volume dominates the whole soundscape with a sound like clocking issues  .. "tearing" the sound ..   perhaps into other frequency ranges  ??  I have checked that clocking is set up correctly ...  AES16e 1 internal  ... AES16e 2 header  .. and that 96k is showing on the front panel of the Auroras and in the Lynx mixer and in Audio midi setup in Mac .  In the process of trying to sort it out I have reset the Auroras via the power cable and the sample rate button as mentioned on the forum .   After the reset one of the settings seems questionable to me   ??  Trim setting --Dual wire in light lit ??  The other settings are Sample rate 96k  ,  Sync source -- internal  ,  Analogue out -- AES in ,  Digital out -- analogue in ,Meter .. analogue ,  As it has been some time since I originally set it up I am not really sure now exactly what settings I did have so  ... are these settings correct or could they be related to the distortion problem ?? 

Hardware and software setup  :
2 AES16e cards in a Mac Pro 
Aurora 8  with the extra 8 channels from the AES16e card as AES direct channels (for such as bricasti )
Aurora 16  
Cubase 8 
Lynx Mixer showing : AES16e 1 : 8 analogue in/out plus 8 digital in/out 
Lynx mixer showing : AES16e 2 : 16 analogue in/out 
Adaptor settings :  AES16e 1 -- 16 channel  , AES16e 2 --16 channel
Synchrolock -- shows ..  --  locked  ( both Auroras )
Disable CPU power management -- ticked  ( I have tried this both ways with no difference to the distortion ) ??
Hardware buffer size . -- Auto 
Aggregate device buffer size - 256 ( I have tried this at much higher values and it largely doesn't change the distortion
Audio midi setup -- drift correction NOT ticked for either Aurora 

These settings represent the areas I have checked in looking for the cause of the distortion as well as reading various forum posts for possible causes .  I am at the limits of my knowledge of music production software and hardware setup with this one so any further help with this would be much appreciated .

Thanking You ,
Ross

ross
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2015 at 4:12pm
Ross,

After restoring defaults on the Aurora your settings there should be correct except for one important area. It is critical that for both Auroras that the SYNC SOURCE is set to "AES A" .

When the Auroras are on Internal your system is not clock synced and this certainly could be causing the distortion. 
Also, you should make sure that the Bricasti is set to clock to its Digital Input. 

See if that clears up the distortion and let us know if not. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
ross20 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2015 at 5:29am
Hello Paul ,

Thanks for the reply to my enquiry .  I have set the SYNC SOURCE to AES-A on both Auroras and checked the Bricasti that it is set to AUDIO FORMAT : Digital , and that it is correctly following the sample rate 96Khz  but the distortion is still there .  I did not mention before that the first AES16e card is set to system clock ( "Internal" on Audio Midi setup in Mac and AES16e card 2 is set to "Header" and that the corresponding BNC cable is connected accordingly between the cards )  ...  is this the correct format for the configuration of SYNC SOURCE = AES-A ??.    I have checked that the source of the distortion is not from a hardware source such as the bricasti or microphones and their preamplifiers by removing their physical connections one at a time and also their VST connections link as well but still no difference .  The AES16e cards are in an aggregate device in Mac  and when I use the likes of Itunes for playback the distortion is there sometimes and sometimes not though does require higher volumes for it to be present at all . In Cubase (8) it is present during both record and playback .   The system was working fine for a couple of years but I must have changed something in the setup somehow or perhaps something in the hardware has developed a problem .

I have still been trying things to sort it out but have tried everything I can think of at this stage so am wondering if you could offer any other directions to try ?

Thanking you ,
Ross
ross
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2015 at 4:26pm
Hi Ross, 

In Audio Midi Setup, click the aggregate device that you use. Make sure that "Drift" is turned OFF for both devices. 

If that doesn't do it, try just using one AES16e card for record and play, instead of the aggregate device. Start with card #1, since it is already set to Internal. 

Also, does increasing the buffer size help? How about switching ASIO Guard ON or OFF in the Cubase audio settings? 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
ross20 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2015 at 7:46pm
Hello Paul ,

Thank you for the reply .  
I have tried the things you mentioned but still have the problem but now it is intermittent ??  I tried using one of the AES cards ( AES 1 ) for record and play as you suggested and it made no difference until I restarted the computer after which it had NO distortion .  I then tried the same procedure back to using the aggregate device to check that it would then produce distortion but it still had no distortion back on the aggregate device after restart !?  I tried this backwards and forwards a few times and it started producing distortion again and then following that line found that it would produce distortion on both setups randomly and not on only one of the setups ??  I did not disable the aggregate device altogether but only changed which device was used for sound in/out   ( this produced a puzzling result for me that though I still used a microphone input from the other card it still recorded from it !? ) . I have tried using each of the cards for sound input/output without result  ...  though should I also be dismantling the aggregate device altogether and even changing the cable connections as well ??

On the other things you mentioned ...  the drift correction I have had it deactivated as I have understood it is only for where there is no master clock used in one of the devices .  Likewise with ASIO Guard I have had it deactivated because it apparently doesn't work with "Real Time dependent signals " (Microphones ? )and External effects ( Bricasti )  .  Though with this one I did try it both ways again  and it still did not make a difference .  A few times earlier I did try changing the buffer size but the distortion  was still largely there  with only a bit of a change to the way it sounds .   I have tried these various things many times now with about 30 changes plus computer  restarts but can produce no consistent cause for the distortion ...  with the distortion being present around 2/3rds of the times the computer starts )  ...  about the only thing that has been consistent has been that changes I make while the computer is going don't change the status of the distortion being present or not until I restart the computer  ..  and even then only randomly  .  I have always understood that random ( or intermittent ) faults in electronics are the hardest to track down and so whether this is in the software or hardware or both maybe it fits into this category of difficulty !?   Am I at an "impossible to figure out situation " at this stage or is there anything else I can try   ??                  

One thing  I came across on an internet search gave a connection to a multiple computer modem as a possible cause of distortion from one of the other computers being connected to the internet at the time but I have tried turning on and off the other two computers on the system without any consistent result .

Thanks for your suggestions so far on this .  Music is too important for me to give up on this .
Thanks ,
Ross 
ross
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2015 at 4:17pm
Ross, 
I don't believe we have looked at your firmware and driver versions. If you open the Lynx Mixer and click Mixer > About, what is the mixer version and firmware versions for the AES16e cards?
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
ross20 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2015 at 2:38am
Hello Paul ,

Thanks again for the reply .  I have pasted the entire page showing the Mixer - About - information ...  sorry if it is too much !   ... but that way I know it will cover what you are asking .

At one stage I did try to update the firmware but remember having problems so maybe it was not successful ?..  The USB card is still installed but not used in the current setup .

Thanks ,
Ross   

>>> PLEASE DO NOT EDIT ANY TEXT IN THIS BLOCK!
Time and Date: 27 Oct 2015 8:18:41pm
Lynx Mixer Version: 1.0 Build 58
Build Date: Aug 27 2015

Driver Version: 1.0 Build 58
Driver Date: Aug 31 2015

1: Lynx AES16e Serial Number: 2811452181 Rev: D
Firmware Version: 14.0   Date: Jul 17, 2015

Aurora 8 Serial Number: 2711392158 Rev: B
Aurora 8 Firmware Version: 25

LT-USB Rev: A
LT-USB Firmware Version: 5

2: Lynx AES16e Serial Number: 2811452185 Rev: D
Firmware Version: 14.0   Date: Jul 17, 2015

Aurora 16 Serial Number: 2612092234 Rev: B
Aurora 16 Firmware Version: 27

Operating system: Mac OSX 10.10.5
User region:      AU
User language:    en
Display language: en
Is 64-bit:        Yes
Number of CPUs:   12
Memory size:      12288 MB
CPU vendor:       GenuineIntel
CPU speed:        3330 MHz

Current executable file: /Applications/Lynx Mixer.app/Contents/MacOS/Lynx Mixer
>>> PLEASE DO NOT EDIT ANY TEXT IN THIS BLOCK!

ross
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2015 at 1:42pm
OK, I'd like you to try reverting the AES16e firmware to 13.2 on both cards. You'll have to run the updater twice, once for each card. You can select between them from the "select unit to update" pulldown on the updater's main page. 

Here is the correct updater. Make sure no audio apps or the Lynx Mixer are running when you run the updater. 

Let's see if this changes the behavior at all. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
ross20 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2015 at 2:21am
Hello Paul ,

I tried what you suggested and the distortion is gone !!    Well done   !!!    Thanks !!! 
I started the computer up a total of 6 times in a row to convince myself that there is no distortion and every time perfect  !!  I have battled with this for a few weeks and it is so good to have my music back   ...  thank you for sharing your expertise and likewise Michael who first replied to my original enquiry .

Should I leave the firmware at version 13.2 or is there any other change required ??  I am running Mac OSX 10.10.5 with Cubase 8 if this is relevant .

Thanking you again ,
Ross
ross
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2015 at 2:39pm
Hi Ross, 

Glad to hear that helped. 
I would stay put with 13.2 until we have another solution for you. 

Cheers, 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
 Post Reply Post Reply