Posted: June/04/2014 at 11:46pm
Thanks, Mike.
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2014 at 1:41pm
Hi Andy,

Yes, your doubling was the double monitoring of Lynx Mixer Direct Monitoring with Pro Tools' Software Monitoring. You would want to mute the PT tracks while recording as you mentioned.
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
Sales & Support Coordinator
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
AndyP View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2014 at 12:49pm
I did a tracking session on Sunday. Full band. I'm going to try to ask some organizational/workflow questions once more. If this is not the venue, or if there is a user's group website, please direct me to it. This is not a support question.

So, while tracking full band, I noticed that there was doubling going on. To remedy this, I muted all of the tracks in Pro Tools while tracking and unmuted them while listening back. Is this how it is supposed to be set up? Or does this indicate that I've somehow set my rig up wrong or that I'm not using it the best way?Prior to this, I was using Pro Tools LE and working off the Pro Tools mixer alone. Now I'm using the Lynx Mixer to get multiple headphone mixes out to the musicians. I did succeed at that, but again, I'm wondering how other people have their rigs set up and how they organize their Pro Tools mixer vs their Lynx Mixer.

AndyP View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 2:27pm
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't see this as a support issue because everything works fine. I'm just trying to get myself organized.

Yes, I am using the Lynx Mixer. The new one. I have the Thunderbolt card. Seems that the Remote Control doesn't do much with the TB. Of course, I could easily just not understand something there...

I have Mavericks on my Mac Mini Server. Pro Tools 11. Entire rig is new. 

I'm wondering how people organize their routing between Pro Tools and the Aurora. Do assignments change for tracking vs overdubs vs mixing?

I did my first overdub session with it last night and everything went smoothly, but I still want to get it all in my head in a confident fashion, so I'm looking for organizational/routing tips, etc.
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 2:15pm
I think it would be wise to clarify a few things so you can get the answers you desire.

First, there are two applications we produce: Lynx Mixer and Aurora Remote Control.  It is not clear from your post which you are using since you called it "Aurora Mixer".  Paul assumed that you are using Aurora Remote Control, but by your reaction it seems likely you are actually using Lynx Mixer.  Please clarify.

This also points out the downfall of a free-form forum.  There are specific pieces of information that we need from end users to be able to answer your questions accurately.  All of these pieces of information are on our support ticket submission form.  If that information were included in the first post when someone asks a question on the forum, it would greatly increase the likelihood that the original poster would get an accurate and helpful answer quickly.

For instance, it is not clear from your original posting how you are connecting your Aurora to the computer.  The Aurora always requires some sort of interface to connect to the computer, and each one is handled differently.  Are you using the AES16e?  The LT-TB?  The LT-USB?  What operating system are you using?
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
AndyP View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 5:34pm
HAHA!

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm even more confused. I have nothing in my mixer marked "Source A" or "Source *anything*." I don't understand what you mean by "Out 1-4 tabs."

Is it possible you're referencing the older mixer that was used with the AES Lslot card?

I'm also aware that I probably didn't even ask the question(s) accurately because I'm that confused. Part  of what I was asking about was the assignments in Pro Tools. Do you end up reassigning Pro Tools outputs during the session? It seems for mixing, everything can be bussed out "Anolog 1-2," but for tracking and overdubbing, another output assignment must be made in Pro Tools in order to use the Lynx Mixer to give people different headphone mixes.
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2014 at 4:12pm
In general, I have people set up Source A to LSLOT 1-16 (presuming an Aurora 16 here). This carries the signals from the computer. If you want multiple stems going to different outputs, you could use Source B for one additional pair (i.e. two stereo stems), however if you need more than that you would have to use the Out 1-4 tabs.

For input monitoring I would suggest setting Out 1-4 so that all have Analog 1-16 assigned in order. You can do this quickly by holding down the CTRL key while changing the first one to 'Analog In 1". They should all change in order. 
By default all of these sources are muted. Just Un-Mute the ones that you need to hear through the appropriate output. If the record source is a stereo instrument, then unmute the left input from Out 1 or Out 3, and the right input through Out 2 or Out 4. For a mono source, unmute then same source for each output. That way it will appear as though panned in the center.  You may need to attenuate that source @ 6dB for good level matching. 

When finished tracking, mute all the input sources until the next session so you don't get unintended bleed. 

When mixing, you can disable all custom routing by just setting TO ANALOG OUT to "LSLOT IN". 

Does that help?  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
AndyP View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2014 at 10:34pm
I guess this question isn't necessarily directed at Tech Support exclusively, but to anyone here who's been working with the Aurora Mixer (especially the latest one.)

OK... Got the Aurora up and working. Opened up a session that I'll be working on later this week. Did some output assignments so that I have different instruments assigned out of Protools to the play section of the Aurora Mixer; drums in Play 01+02, other mono instruments in unlinked individual channels in the play section.

I figured out how to get two monitor mixes going successfully via the analog out section of the Aurora Mixer.

So how do you run your sessions? Are you constantly toggling away from Pro Tools to make adjustments in the Aurora Mixer?

It seems that the Mixer settings would need to be changed for the task at hand. In other words, for mixing, you might just zero everything out and not have to worry about the mixer. But for live tracking it seems I might need to make level adjustments within the drum kit at the Pro Tools Mix Window, but I would make overall drum level monitoring adjustments in the Aurora Mixer (to accommodate multiple monitoring mixes.)

And what about an overdub session? I'd be monitoring what I'm recording via the Record section and monitoring the previously recorded material via the Play section. What about punch ins? Would I need any special Mixer assignments for that? (I seems I shouldn't, but this thing is so vast...)

It seems that  during a tracking section, I'd go to the Aurora whenever someone requests something different in their mix.

Got any setup or routing advice? When do you make mix adjustments in ProTools? When do you do it in Aurora? Any tips on workflow? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply