Forum LockedLynx Hilo - AES Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lynx Hilo - AES Question
    Posted: April/28/2014 at 7:24am
Hi,

I might be trying for the impossible here but I am looking for a(n easy) way to directly connect the AES output on my Lynx Hilo to 8 or 10 XLR/TRS inputs on a summing mixer. And preferably also return the stereo out of the summing mixer to the AES input. Would this be possible without the use of an external AES pre-amp rack such as the Audient ASP008 or any of the Lynx products?

If it's not possible: what would be the best option for me to create this AES-TRS chain? Not looking for any recording options or coloration, just something simple to connect to the summing mixer and back.
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 5:14pm
I admit to being extremely confused by your question, but I presume you want to use the Hilo AES I/O to connect to Analog Inputs and Outputs on the summing amp. Is this correct? There is no way to have the stereo AES Output generate 10 channels of audio, but if stereo is adequate, you can use an additional AD/DA converter.  As far as I know the Audient is a Mic Pre-amp. A stereo AD/DA converter with AES I/O would be the more appropriate fit. 
Is the issue that you have other devices connected to the Hilo Line Inputs and Line Outputs? 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
daritimm View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2014 at 10:52pm
Hi,

Having re-read my post I must admit it's a bit vague =P

The normal in and outputs of the Lynx are in use, yes. What I would like is to have an easy way to send 8 channels out to my summing mixer and then a stereo pair back into my Lynx. Since the normal inputs are taken - something I could fix with a patchbay, I know - I was rather hoping there would be an easy way to connect the summing device through AES or ADAT.

I've tried this with my RME Fireface UC connected through the Lynx via ADAT. It works in principle but seems a bit hiccupy. I figured there might be a way to bypass a second ADDA and maybe directly link the Lynx to the summing mixer? Especially because I often take the RME with me into the field, so I'd rather have a standard setup at home that I don't have to pack twice a week.

I know there are DB25 cables for AES (that go to 8 xlr, for instance) but the Lynx seems to have the 3-pin AES going on, which made me wonder if there was a cable that split that into 8 channels as well.
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2014 at 4:44pm
There are two problems with the idea. 
Summing amplifiers combine channels in the analog domain. If you were going to do that digitally, you would just do it in your software and have no need for a summing amp.  

AES is a stereo format, so it will only put out two channels. Some devices send and receive 8-channels of AES at a time, but that is generally through a 25-pin D-Sub, like we have on our Aurora converters. 

The only way I can think of for you to achieve what you want is to get 8 more channels of DA conversion, connected to the Hilo ADAT output. Problem then is that you would be using lesser converters, instead of the top notch ones you have in the Hilo. 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
daritimm View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2014 at 1:42am
Hey Paul,

You're right on both accounts: I wouldn't want to sum digitally, just want a device that digitally connects to the Lynx (which doesn't have 8 outputs). Could also be through ADAT.

The problem lies with lesser converters indeed. The RME isn't at all bad but if possible I would love to skip it and stick to Lynx. Would Aurora be the way to go? Seems a bit pricy just for linking the Hilo & summing mixer. Any other brands that tend to do well with Lynx?
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2014 at 3:27pm
The Aurora8 with ADAT would work. ADAT is the only multi-channel digital format on the Hilo. The others are stereo only. 

As to other brands, nothing leaps to mind that is appreciably less than an Aurora 8..
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
daritimm View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 2:30pm
Hmm.. Thanks for the info! Looks I got some savin' up to do.. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply