Forum LockedLynx Thunderbolt and Aurora 16 Mixer Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lynx Thunderbolt and Aurora 16 Mixer Question
    Posted: April/08/2014 at 9:55pm
Hello lynx team and forum users!

i own a lynx aurora 16. it is a really solid and great unit. Now i ordered your new thunderbolt optional card cause i work primary on a thunderbolt equipped computer. So i have a really important question:

Is the mixing software you offer with the thunderbolt card comparable to rme totalmix?? I havent found much information about your mixer in the internet..?
It would be important for me cause i need to monitor the encoded stereo signal of mid side recorded material (on the rme totalmix i only have to push one button to hear the processed signal although the raw mid side signal will be recorded)

Thx
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2014 at 9:58am
Hi,

The Lynx Mixer will install with the driver. It is very flexible; you can either monitor your REC channels (Inputs) for hardware monitoring or your PLAY channels (from the DAW) to do software monitoring.

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can assist further.
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
Sales & Support Coordinator
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
swinxx View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2014 at 12:20am
thx for the info!

2 further question

1. so is it possible - or will it be possible in the future to decode mid / side signals from the rec section to the output section?? (VERY IMPORTANT)
2. i have linked the aurora 16 outs to the ins.. when i duplicate a recorded track, invert one of the tracks and send that through the aurora(outs->ins) with the same level as the source track shouldn't the signal disappear because of cancellation.?
i have tried it but there is only a level drop.. so is there a latency issue within the driver and the converters?? i had an rme fireface and tried the same with the result of nearly complete cancellation.
i like to work with outboard and parallel processing so phasing problems are a BIG problem!!

thx rene

Edited by swinxx - April/10/2014 at 12:21am
swinxx View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 2:35pm
bump
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 5:00pm
1. - Please clarify. If you mean side chaining that would require some DSP which we don't do in the Lynx Mixer
2. - Can you send sine waves from a source track, and record to a  new track and compare the zero crossing positions? One sample off could be a rounding issue because there is a portion of a sample involved on the AD side. If it is more than 2 samples discrepancy then something else is going on. 

Let me know
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
swinxx View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 2:48am
hello paul.

1. alright, do you know the rme totalmix software. it allows individual phase switching on of every channel and ms decoding of stereo channels (you can have a mid side mic setup and in the totalmix software (which has no dsp power as far as i know)  it is possible to encode that to a true stereo signal.. 
it is just routing and one track must be phase inverted, no real processing of the signal..

so sadly no ms decoding??

so would it be possible to add phase invert button for every channel? (then i can perhaps build up my own ms matrix)

2. i will look into that on tuesday. but paul, perhaps you can try it too.. should not be different in your setup,... unless aurora has used different converters in different serialnumbers..

why would be an inverted phase button per channel so important?

when working in a professional mac environment (but without a mixer desk) i wanna overdub tracks within a project in realtime (with no latency) 
direct monitoring does not exist on the mac platform, but it is always possible to open the track within the lynx mixer application. (great!!)
when i work as a producer and want to record some multimiced sources, i need to monitor those in summation to check phasing issues. therefore it would be a great addition to the mixer to be able to switch the phase from channel to channel to identify phasing problems.. 

when this will be not provided by a professional recording solution, the drawback is really tremendous. 
for the recording engineer point of view it doesnt matter if the phase inverted signal is recorded or the real input signal (you can always invert the phase within the recording software).. but for monitoring purpose it is a must have.

thx for your effort!
greets. re

Edited by swinxx - May/17/2014 at 3:28am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 3:25pm
Hello,

So I'm afraid a phase switch is not part of the Lynx Mixer feature set. Your request is noted and will be added to the wish list. Your points make good sense for in-the-box operation. 

As to testing the loop test alignment, this has been tested here. The question would be if there is some factor in your system that is impacting that. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
swinxx View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 12:01am
thx paul!
i will try the loopback again tomorrow.. 

so my daw is: cubase 6.0.7
dsub25 vovox ins and outs
and a great signex pst96 d25p patchbay which is half normalized on the aurora channels.. 

so which factors do you think of?
i wonder cause with the rme fireface the same loopback test is working with complete phase cancellation.
so at the end of the day the only difference was the audio interface.. 

greets.
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2014 at 4:10pm
I was thinking more of an Internal factor (in the computer) then external. Can you measure the number of samples ahead or behind of the source track the recorded track is? That would be helpful. Thanks.  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
swinxx View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2014 at 10:55pm
thx paul. i have tested it again... now it is working and the phase inverted signal cancels the original nearly completely out. so there must be indeed a internal factor. 

however, is a phase invers button possible for a further software update within the aurora mixer? thx sw
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2014 at 4:56pm
Nothing planned, but I'll put it on the wish list
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Scavneck View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2014 at 4:40am
Phase inversion can always be useful! Hope you guys really do implement it.
 Post Reply Post Reply